Sunday, January 9, 2022

Weekend Words

 From Be Still and Know...

"For I know thew plans which I am planning for you," saith Jehovah, "plans of welfare and not of calamity, to give you a future and a hope" (Jeremiah 29:11 Rotherham)

The year we are now entering is one unknown to us, but known to God.  He has a "custom-designed" plan for our lives.  Included in His plan for us is the year ahead.

At the time Jeremiah wrote the above scripture, God's chosen people were in captivity.  Jeremiah reminded them that God had not forgotten them, but in His own time would return them to their homeland.  "...I know the plans I am planning for you..."  Their captivity may have seemed like a calamity, but God assured them He had their welfare in mind.

We cannot see what lies ahead in the new year, but God can.  "...I KNOW the plans I am planning for YOU..."  His plans are for the PRESENT moment - NOW.  "The plans I AM planning for you..."  He knows "where" we are, the "why" of our circumstances, "how" His plans fit into our lives, and "what" His plans are to accomplish.

His plans are PURPOSEFUL.  "Plans of welfare, not of calamity..."  Often we see our circumstances as calamities, but not so with God.  He loves us and desires only His best for us.  We view our situations from where we are, but God sees them completed and fitted into His plans.

He has PROSPECTIVE plans for our FUTURE.  We are to be WITH HIM in heaven.  There we will experience no sorrow, nor pain.  There all our tears will be wiped away.  Knowing that one of these days He will return for us gives us HOPE today.

We can face the new year with peace of heart and mind, knowing that God is working out His plans not only for our life on earth but throughout eternity.

His plans for our lives find completion and fulfillment in Jesus Christ.  "Moreover we know that to those who love God, who are called according to HIS PLAN, everything that happens fits into a pattern for good.  For God, in His foreknowledge, chose them to bear the family likeness of His Son" (Romans 8:28-29 Phillips)


"I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year, Give me a light that I might go safely out into the darkness.  And he replied, Go out into the darkness and put your hand into the hand of God.  That shall be more to you than a light, and safer than a known way." - Minnie Louise Haskins

From Beside Still Waters - Words of Comfort for the Soul - C. H. Spurgeon

Blessed Beyond Measure - Genesis 22:17

The greatest blessing God gives is His presence.  If I could choose any of life's blessings, I certainly would not ask for wealth, because wealth cannot bring freedom from pain, concerns, or anxiety.  I certainly would not ask for popularity, because there is no rest for the world's leaders.  My choice, my highest honor, would be to have God with me always.

When God is with us, there is no difference between Nebuchadnezzar's fiery furnace (Daniel 3:19) and a comfortable bed.  It does not matter!  We will be happy in either.  If God is with us, if His divine love surrounds us, then we carry our own atmosphere and residence wherever we travel, and we can say with Moses, "Lord, you have been our dwelling place in all generations" (Psalm 90:1)

The individual who can say this is full of heaven, full of God, and blessed beyond measure.  This is the privilege of all who truly believe in Jesus, of all who come out from the world, and of all who, like Abraham, live a life of faith (Genesis 12:4).  Bow your head, believer, and let the Lord God pronounce this blessing, "I will bless you."

If you are sorrowing, suffering, weary, or burdened, receive this blessing from God's own mouth, "I will bless you."

If you are poor, despised, or slandered, this blessing is not shortened.  Take it with you, and go on your way rejoicing.

"My dearest Lord,

be thou a bright flame before me,

be thou a guiding star above me,

be thou a smooth path beneath me,

be thou a kindly shepherd behind me,

today and for evermore."

St Columba (521 - 597)


All photos are flowers in my garden :)

3 comments:

  1. The prayer of St. Columba reminds of the Breastplate of St. Patrick. The calling on the power of God to be over us, above us, etc. I love that idea, and wonder if it was an Irish way of thinking at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I see that raging river again. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just for you Lisa! Because I know how much you like it :)) xx

      Delete