Saturday, January 22, 2022

On the home front (plus the bread recipe)...

 Finally getting here after a week of hot sunny weather and headaches most days (roll on Autumn!). Seems there are a few wanting the bread recipe.  I've been making it on and off for years, and have posted it on my blog a couple of times previously.  Not sure where I got the recipe from, but think it may have been an internet friend in the UK.  This is the original recipe, with my comments/changes at the bottom...

Irish Soda Bread

3 cups flour (I prefer whole wheat but white is great too) 

1 cup rolled oats (like Quaker Oats) 

1 cup dried non-fat milk 

1 teaspoon sugar (honey) 

1 teaspoon salt 

1 teaspoon baking/bi-carb soda 

1 3/4 cup water 

2 teaspoons of lemon juice 

Preheat oven to 350F/175C, Grease a large cookie sheet with sides (jellyroll pan).

Mix dry ingredients well, add water and lemon juice, stir until just mixed, don't over stir, if needed add extra water 2 tablespoons at a time (some flours are really thirsty and soak up the water)...you will now have a batter that may be very "firm" like yeasted bread or it may be a little thinner than you are used to with making bread...not to worry, it cooks up very well..."dump" the batter in the middle of the cookie sheet...slightly shape with dampened hands and cut an X in the top to let the gasses escape. 

Put in the oven and bake for about 30 minutes. Serve hot...it is very good...it is not a traditional loaf of bread but it is great with meals...it is also nice for breakfast the next day with either cheese or peanut butter. 

Variations: Instead of using non-fat dried milk in the mix you can substitute sweet milk with the lemon juice for the water or you can use buttermilk without the lemon juice. I had non-fat dried milk in the kitchen so I used what I had. You can add caraway seeds, raisins or ground flax seed to add variety. If you are using white flour and want to add fiber you can stir in bran or wheat germ. Soy flour or powder increases the protein content. Lightly toasted sunflower seeds are a nice addition. This loaf is very flexible -- variations are endless...one day for a dessert loaf of bread I added chopped dried fruit that had been soaked in orange juice. I also added some Pumpkin Pie spice and a little extra sugar...about a half a cup. This was very tasty.

Lynda comments: I double the recipe and cook in 2 bread tins.  I use a variety of flours: wholewheat, white, rye, buckwheat, spelt, quinoa, ground almonds/hazelnuts.  And add sunflower, pumpkin, chia, sesame seeds, ground linseed/flaxseed, kelp.  And molasses instead of sugar/honey. I also add some caraway seeds as I like the flavour.

I find it takes a bit longer to cook, perhaps because it's so heavy, but I test it with a skewer to make sure it's cooked through before turning out.

If you have any questions...just ask :)


On to other news...

Because it's been so hot this last week, not a lot has been getting done in the garden, although I do like to have my coffee break on the back undercover deck...

The blueberries are loving the hot weather and are starting to produce more than I can keep up with.  I pick some each morning to have with my breakfast, but I think I will start freezing some soon too.

And today I dug my first potatoes...


I had a trip up to Marnie on Wednesday and we did a local walk...







It's been a bit hot for knitting, but I got another couple of beanies/hats done for charity...



And I recently picked a up a bag of bright/light odds and ends of yarn at the op shop, which I'd been running low on...


So I'll be able to get back to my scrappy granny squares ...



And I've put the Maeve Binchy book aside for now as this one that I had reserved from the library came in.  I'm finding it very interesting.  It's almost like 3 or 4 books in one with the multi layered stories, which are woven together so well...


And I'm still getting an early morning walk in around the river...


"O gift of God! a perfect day,
Whereon shall no man work but play,
Whereon it is enough for me
Not to be doing but to be."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the bread recipe - I don't keep powdered milk on hand but perhaps I'll buy some if I end up making this a bit more regularly - certainly would be a cheaper option than the bread I currently buy! You've reminded me I need to begin my early morning walks again - I've been getting side tracked since ..... well, forever I guess lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharm, I only use powdered skim milk, so always have it here.
      Hope you can get back to your morning walks :) xx

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the recipe. I made some right away, I used oat milk, and threw in some ground flax seed, roasted pumpkin seeds and raisins, used whole wheat flour and whole oats, and a bit of coconut sugar, it baked up a treat. I put natural peanut butter on a nice warm chunk of bread, it was very delish.
    Love all the granny squares, they are so cheerful.

    Thanks again for the recipe,

    Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked the recipe Bean! I made 2 more loaves yesterday. I slice it up and put in the freezer. It usually last me a couple of week. And yes...it's very moreish, especially warm, straight from the oven :) xx

      Delete
  3. Longfellow is wonderful. So, the bread recipe! I'm glad to see it! And I can see that it's basically Irish soda bread, because I've been making a version of that lately and realized I like it better than yeast bread. Three cups of flour with a tsp. baking soda and half tsp. salt, one cup of liquid if you want to shape it into a boule, two cups for a pan like yours. Use different flours, add seeds, nuts, etc as wished. Can be as light or dense as you like. I baked two loaves of whole wheat yeast bread last week and realized I don't enjoy eating it. Of course, I probably will try another recipe, but this soda bread is a wonderful (and fast) thing to have on hand. I've been making scones oftener lately, too; they're pretty quick to make and I am playing with the recipe.
    Thank you for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soda bread is great isn't it Lisa! So quick and easy. I prefer it to yeast bread too. I do keep some shop bought bread in my freezer for emergencies, but would much rather eat my home baked soda bread. xx

      Delete
  4. Thank you Lynda for the delicious looking bread recipe. I have made one similar without yeast, but the ingredients here are different so I will definitely give it a go!
    Also, about the headaches... For many years I had debilitating migraines and was under doctor's care to no avail. Suddenly, when I began taking acid reflux medication and high doses of magnesium citrate, they disappeared! I have not had one now for several years. I did read that migraines can be caused by an allergic reaction of some sort so maybe, the acid in my stomach was causing them? Or maybe the extra magnesium helped? I may never know but I thought I'd pass on the info to you in hopes that you may also find some relief. Also I am keeping you in my prayers for that! Love and hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try the bread recipe Sue. I will be interested to know what you think.
      And thanks for the migraine tips, and prayers. I'm so glad you found something to stop yours. I have tried many things over the years, and am seeing a herbalist at the moment who makes me up herbal tinctures. I'm also taking Magnesium/Potassium medication. My headaches seem to be caused by weather changes, in particular sudden changes in air pressure, but perhaps other things also contribute. This week has been better :) xx

      Delete