Sunday, January 2, 2022

Weekend Words

 Some thoughts to ponder as we go forward into 2022....



From Be Still and Know...

"Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it?  I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert." - (Isaiah 43:19)

The New Year will not be a repetition of the one just past, but a year of new beginnings, new resolves, new plans.  It will be filled with new experiences, new challenges, new opportunities, new lessons to be learned.  We may be transferred to new surroundings.  New joys may overflow our hearts.  New sorrows and heartaches may enter our lives.  Regardless of what the year may hold, God promises, "I will do a new thing."

As you begin this new year, what do you want God to do in your personal life?  Do you desire a greater knowledge of His word?  If so, He will gladly open new truths to you from it.  Do you want a more effective prayer life?  He will give you new opportunities to trust Him in prayer.  Do you long to know Jesus Christ in a more real way?  He will lead you into a deeper and closer walk with Him.  He promises, "I will do a new thing in your life this year."

There may be new wilderness experiences for us in the unknown year ahead.  We may find ourselves in the desert.  But God assures us, "I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert... I give waters in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert, to give drink to my people, my chosen" (Isaiah 43:19-20).  In the wilderness and desert we are brought to a place of complete helplessness, learning total dependence upon God.

We sing a little chorus that says, "The Lord knows the way through the wilderness; all I have to do is follow."  In these wilderness and desert times, He will do a new thing, transforming them into fruitful ones for His glory.

As God does a "new thing" in our lives, it will bring praise to Him.  " This people have I formed for myself; they shall show forth my praise" (v. 21)

From A Year's Journey with God...

Do it with Jesus

Forgetting what is behind, and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 3:13-14

How are you feeling about stepping out into this New Year?  Perhaps you're 'straining towards what is ahead' like an Olympic sprinter, full of hope and confidence?  Or you could be limping up to the start, exhausted by Christmas and crippled by endless problems.  You might even be hanging back, dreading some of the forthcoming events in your brand-new diary, or unable to face life without someone you have recently lost.

As I was writing that, an email popped into my inbox from my friend in Australia.  She finished by saying, 'Oh well, here's another year to do with Jesus.'  I like that!  It feels like a large injection of faith.

We've got to 'do' this year, however we feel about its shadowy uncertainties, and it is uncertain for all of us - even if we planned it out to the last detail.  Life on this planet is always unpredictable.  Yet one thing is rock-solid sure: we don't have to face the future alone; we can 'do it with Jesus'.

His promise to us rings out like a glorious peal of church bells, ringing in the New Year: 'Do not be afraid...for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you' (Deuteronomy 31:6)

Thank you Lord, that nothing is going to happen this year that you and I can't handle together.  Amen.

My prayer for 2022 is that I will face all the challenges it may bring, with Jesus by my side.

I wish the same for you!  

Whatever 2022 throws at you, may you know God's Presence with you. xx

10 comments:

  1. Amen. We SO need His daily help. Thank you, Lynda. Lonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda,thank you for a lovely confirmation post that speaks to me to keep pressing onward and upward! Funny thing is that our pastor preached from the identical passages this past Sunday morning! This is a new year and an opportunity for God to do a new thing in our lives, putting the past behind us and reaching forward. May you also be richly blessed in every good way in this new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...Another year of challenges, but with God with us, He can turn them into blessings! May He bless you also in this coming year. xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful blog. Happy new year ��

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let go and let God! Happy new year LG

    ReplyDelete