Sunday, September 24, 2023

Weekend Words

 Both devotionals from Beside the Still Waters...

Humbled and Hungering: Read Deuteronomy 8

"And he humbled thee, and suffered thee to hunger ... that he might make thee know that man doth not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord doth man live " - Deuteronomy 8:3

When Moses spoke the words of today's Bible reading, his audience was mostly those who could remember the rigors of the wilderness journey.  Three times in Deuteronomy 8, Moses spoke of God humbling Israel (verses 2, 3, 16).  Other words that describe God's dealings are "chasteneth" (verse 5) and "prove" (verses 2, 16).  God wanted to prove what was in their hearts and if they would keep His commandments in adverse circumstances.  If they passed these tests, they would be prepared for "the good land" to which God was leading them.

God also allowed the Israelites to experience hunger pangs.  For this they accused God of bringing them into the wilderness "to kill this whole assembly with hunger" (Exodus 16:3).  So God in mercy gave them wholesome manna every morning, six days a week.  But very soon they were craving meat.  They said, "there is nothing at all, beside this manna, before our eyes" (see Numbers 11:4-6).  And God graciously sent quails to meet their demand.

God's express purpose for letting them get hungry was to help them realize that people need both natural and spiritual food to maintain physical and spiritual life.  Today's key verse says this spiritual food amounts to "every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the Lord."  So as God takes us through adverse circumstances, let's be convinced anew of the importance of learning from the Word of God.  To reach our Promised Land in Heaven, we need to be well nourished spiritually until we die physically or until Christ comes in the clouds.

 Dennis Martin - Smithville, TN


Draw Near: Read James 4:1-17

"Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you." - James 4:8

Wayward as we are, we become victims of our own choices.  Our human tendency is to gravitate towards our fleshly nature and thereby become estranged from our Saviour.  Following this path will lead to a sin-filled life, and the farther we travel, the greater the gap between us and the Savior.

"Oh, I had not expected to go this far!  This is costing me more than I want to pay.  The experience here is not pleasant and not what I had anticipated.  I didn't know that I would be so lonely and feel so estranged and forsaken.  Yes, materialism has been my god, and my carnal nature had led me into disputing, war and murder!  I feel despised, rejected, and cast out.  Is it possible to restore my broken relationship with my Savior?"

Then Jesus tenderly speaks to me: "Draw near!"  Is it actually true that He still has a strong and vibrant love for me?  Is there a possibility to restore the relationship?  And the answer gently resonates again: "Draw near!"

So I decide to move closer.  I discover that yes, it is real!  Through repentance I experience the amazing and remarkable grace of my Savior.  Forgiveness is granted.  Fellowship is restored.  Peace returns.  The warmth of fellowship and relationship is renewed.  Now I finally come to the realization that I was the one who turned cold.  Yes, it was my attitudes and my choices that caused the breach in our relationship.  How could I be so negligent?

Again today I am inspired to be extremely thankful and exceedingly appreciative to my Savior.  He never wants me to go off and wander in sin, but He constantly invites me to draw near!

Joseph Kuepfer - Newton, ON

When all around in this cold, dark land, 

Nothing encourages me to stand,

Jesus says, holding me by the hand,

"Come closer, my child, to Me.

- B. Elliott Warren

2 comments: