Sunday, September 10, 2023

Weekend Words

 Internet back up and running as of yesterday :)

From Be Still and Know...

"Every day [with its new reasons] will I bless You - affectionately and gratefully praise You; yes, I will praise Your name for ever and ever" (Psalm 145:2 Amplified).

This is a Psalm full of thanksgiving and praise, extolling the one who alone is worthy of praise.  David said, "I will bless YOU; I will praise YOU."  His praise was not just for what God gave him or did for him, but for God Himself.  He expressed his personal relationship to the one Whom he praises, "My God, the king."

His praise to God is continual - "EVERY DAY will I bless YOU - affectionately and gratefully praise you."  There is an interesting phrase in this verse - "Every day WITH ITS NEW REASONS."  That includes today.  Sometimes we feel that we have nothing to praise Him for.  But if we look for them there will always be new reasons for praising Him.

The psalmist's heart was full of GREAT PRAISE to a GREAT GOD.  "Great is the Lord and highly to be praised, and His greatness is [so vast and deep as to be] unsearchable" (Psalm 145:3 Amplified).  He is so great that we cannot explain or fathom it.  "How great he is!  His power is absolute!  His understanding is unlimited" (Psalm 147:5, LB).

Our praise is to be never ending.  "I will bless Your name for ever and ever" (Psalm 145:1 Amplified).

Regardless of our circumstances, conditions, environment, or needs, we have new reasons each day for praising Him.  We are assured of His unchanging love for us.  "I have loved thee with an everlasting love" (Jeremiah 31:3).  We are assured of His constant presence with us.  "I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5).  We are assured of His willingness to work out each circumstance in our lives for our good and His glory.  "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose" (Romans 8:28).

The psalmist ends Psalm 145 with a great finale of praise. "My mouth shall speak the praise of the Lord, and let all flesh bless - affectionately and gratefully praise - His holy name for ever and ever" (v. 21, Amplified). 

PRAISE YE THE LORD!

I came across this lovely hymn recently...

Under His wings I am safely abiding;

Though the night deepens and the tempests are wild,

Still I can trust Him; I know He will keep me.

He has redeemed me, and I am His child.


Under His wings, what a refuge in sorrow!

How the heart yearningly turns to His rest!

Often when earth has no balm for my healing,

There I find comfort, and there I am blessed.


Under His wings, oh, what precious enjoyment!

There will I hide till life’s trials are o’er;

Sheltered, protected, no evil can harm me;

Resting in Jesus I’m safe evermore


Chorus:

Under His wings, under His wings,

Who from His love can sever?

Under His wings my soul shall abide,

Safely abide forever.

- William O. Cushing


No comments:

Post a Comment