Sunday, October 16, 2022

Weekend Words



"When someone becomes a Christian he becomes a brand new person.  He is not the same anymore.  A new life has begun!" (2 Corinthians 5:17, Living Bible)

As I stand back and view my life, I find it filled with peace, quietness, calmness, and joy.  This is a result of a great change that took place years ago.  Since that day there has been one controlling purpose in my life.  "For to me to live is Christ" (Philippians 1:21).

From early childhood I attended church.  Yet as I grew older, I was aware of something missing in my life.  There was an emptiness I could not understand.  I longed for something to satisfy an inner yearning of my heart.

One day I turned on my radio and heard a pastor speaking about Jesus Christ.  I listened intently to what he said and continued to listen each morning for about three months.

One Sunday evening when my heart was desperately reaching out for an answer to life, I went to the church where the program originated.

That night for the first time I realized that although I knew ABOUT Jesus Christ, I did not know HIM in a personal way.  Although I believed with my mind that Jesus came to earth to become the Saviour of the world, I had never believed in Him as my personal Saviour.

Alone at home that night I knelt down and confessed my need of a Saviour and that I believed that Jesus had died and risen from the dead for me, personally.  Then I invited Him into my life.

My life was filled with peace and joy.  I knew for the first time that I had been accepted by God into His family.  Based on the authority of God's Word, I knew I was a Christian.  "I have written this to you who believe in the Son of God so that you may know you have eternal life" (1 John 5:13, LB).

I began to grow in my Christian life as I read the Bible and prayed each day.  The Lord Jesus has become my dearest Friend as we have walked together through the years.



Reason Enough

I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice." - 2 Timothy 1:5

Read: 2 Timothy 1:1-7

Perhaps, like many Christians, you didn't go through a long reasoning process before believing in Jesus.  You heard the good news, and realized you were a sinner and needed God's forgiveness.  You understood that when Jeus died on the cross, He took the punishment you deserved.  You believed that He rose from the dead, and you placed your trust in Him.  This simple act of faith gave you inner peace and brought you into a personal relationship with God.

Let's suppose, however, that a well-educated skeptic challenges you to present solid historical evidence for the truthfulness of the Gospels.  Though some Christians can skillfully defend their faith, you might not be one of them.  Does this mean you believe without reason and your faith is just wishful thinking?  Not at all!!  You believe because God showed you your need and His provision for it.  That's reason enough!  And the peace you have comes from the Holy Spirit (Romans 8: 16-17)

Study so that you can give reasons for believing in Christ.  But don't worry if you don't have all the answers.  The God who helped timid Timothy be a good soldier for Him (2 Timothy 1:7; 2:1-4)
can use you, too.  Thank God for enabling you to believe.  Then tell others what He has done for you.

- Herbert Vander Lugt



We sang this hymn in church this morning.  Here's a toe tappin version for y'all to sing along to... :)

3 comments: