Thursday, October 27, 2022

On the home front (and by the river)...

 One good thing about all the rain is that I have more inside time to get blog posts on.  I'm still managing to go for my walks in between (or during) the showers, and here are some photos from this morning.  It was all so lush and green in the parkland adjacent to the river...











And here are a few other things I've been meaning to tell you...

I often browse through my back issues of Grass Roots magazine while I have my coffee.  I read this article about Michelle and her natural beauty products (BARE Nature'skin) and decided to buy some...



The moisturizer (I decanted some into a smaller container for daily use) is really lovely, for body and face!  I'm trying to simplify my skin care routine so having just one moisturizer works great...
and I really like the simplicity of the Shampoo Bar, so quick and easy, lathers really well, and leaves my hair squeaky clean.  (haven't tried the Goats Milk soap yet)


Then in another Grass Roots, I read about these soap shakers (Soap Shakin Sisters)...

I originally bought one to use in the kitchen.  Instead of buying dish washing liquid, you put your soap scraps in it and swish it around in your washing up water as the sink is filling.  The explanation is for those who aren't as old as I am and may not remember the 'olden days' :).  I'm also going to try it in the laundry when I use up the laundry liquid I have...

but then I decided to use it to store my shampoo bar in

And hang in the shower...
  now I need to buy another one for the kitchen!!


But wait!  There's more!!

Drum roll please... 

Ben, Hayley and Hazel have a new family business selling (and commissioning) Hayley's original artwork.  Check out her cute, quirky, whimsical designs on their website: Averilda Haze

she also has a series of Christmas cards coming

And this morning the book (A Burning In My Bones) I ordered from Koorong arrived... 
Really looking forward to reading this


Natasha sent me this photo of a recent trip she took to Maine...


And I found this poem...

How I go to the woods

Ordinarily, I go to the woods alone, with not a single
friend, for they are all smilers and talkers and therefore
unsuitable.

I don’t really want to be witnessed talking to the catbirds
or hugging the old black oak tree. I have my way of
praying, as you no doubt have yours.

Besides, when I am alone I can become invisible. I can sit
on the top of a dune as motionless as an uprise of weeds,
until the foxes run by unconcerned. I can hear the almost
unhearable sound of the roses singing.

If you have ever gone to the woods with me, I must love
you very much.”

― Mary Oliver

Enjoy your week!  Alone, or in the company of others :)

xx

7 comments:

  1. Oh, what a nice poem. I love to hear the catbirds sing - they're gone now, but I did hear a mockingbird sing today, my favorite (and, cousin to the catbird)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think we have either of those birds in Tasmania, although I think they have some species of catbirds in the north of the mainland.
      One of my favorites to hear are the magpies, which are renown for swooping people, but apparently the Tasmanian ones don't, even though they are the same as the mainland ones!

      Delete
    2. Magpies have a lot of personality, or so I've heard.

      Delete
  2. What a great poem, thank you for sharing. I have occasionally hugged a tree while walking in the woods. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess I have never hugged a tree :)) xx

      Delete
  3. Aaaahhh.. Yes the Tassie ones can.. Occasionally.. As in 🙆 possibly once.. In a lifetime 😉

    ReplyDelete