Monday, October 3, 2022

On the home front...

 October already!?!?


I guess it's about time I got my act together!  I did finally get around to making the tomato relish that has been on my 'to do' list for months...

but the blackberry jam is still on the list.

Spring growth has started in the garden.  Here's a bit of what's going on...

violets growing in a crack in the driveway

forget me not

almost an apple blossom

blueberries

dandelions (and bee)

spring onion flowers

rosemary

pig face - finally flowering after 2 years!

bay tree blossoms

Tasmanian pepperberry

I have a couple of books on the go...
and of an evening I've been watching an episode (or two) of the Little House series on DVD


While I work on my knitted blanket squares...
18 done and 10 to go, but I'm going to run out of yarn so will need to make a trip to Devonport soon to buy more

As the weather warms up (slightly), I've not been lighting the wood heater, so its a good place for my collection of spider plants...
this was one little pot plant I bought at a road side stall for $4 I think.  I now have 5 plants from it, and will be able to plant up some more of the 'babies' soon :)

Still walking most days, although the weekend was a bit of a write off as I had headaches.  But here's a few photos from my recent walks...






Spring came walking through the grass;  I heard her happy footsteps pass;

 I went outside and took her hand,  And followed her across the land.

And everywhere we took our way, the flowers called a holiday.

(Spring Came Walking - Annette Wynne)


What ever season you are in... Be blessed!
xx

12 comments:

  1. Great to see the catch up

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful photographs, we have a bay tree but it has never blossomed! It's so funny isn't you are entering Spring and we are in Autumn. Ben really loved me reading the Little House books at bedtime, they were read several times over. I don't know if you know of the writer Jennifer L Scott? She wrote the Madame Chic series and has a blog and youtube channel entitled, 'The Daily Connoisseur.' In one of her recent(ish) videos she did a home making series based on the wisdom of The Little House books.

    I love the knitted blanket squares and you have given me an idea on how to use up my scraps of sock yarn! What is the total number of stitches at the largest point before you begin to decrease?

    I'm sorry to read about the headaches, I hope they were short lived? The photos of your walks are really uplifting to look at. God Bless, San x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised my bay tree is flowering, even though it does most years, but I had it drastically pruned a few months ago and was wondering if I'd killed it, but it seems to be surviving.

      Have not heard of Jennifer L Scott. Will check her out. The Little House books are certainly evergreen classics. Another series my children liked when young was the Faraway Tree and The Wishing Chair series by Enid Blyton. I think I read them so often as bedtime stories that in the end I didn't even need the books to follow :))

      I'm doing 10 inch squares because they are for Wrap with Love charity and that is the size they want. But you can make them any size really.
      I'm using 8 ply yarn and 4mm needles and knitting diagonal squares. I start by casting on 3 stitches, and then increase in the first stitch (by knitting into the front and back of it) of each row until I get to 70 stitches. Knit one row. Then start decreasing by knitting 1 stitch, then knitting 2 together, at the beginning of each row until I get back to 3 stitches. Then cast off.

      The headaches seem to be part of life for me, but it could be worse. And I'm thankful I have medication that usually stops them. xx

      Delete
  3. Pigs Face - what an unfortunate name for such a cheerful, pretty flower! Love seeing your pictures of spring as we are entering autumn. I own every Miss Read book, slowly collected them all over the years, I find them a nice bit of escapism at least once a year. Looking forward to your next post.
    Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its scientific name is Carpobrotus glaucescens, but Pig Face is easier :)
      It's a flowering succulent and also known as Ice Plant and Angular Sea Fig (apparently), but I've always known it as Pig Face :).

      I have many of the Miss Read books, but not all of them, mostly picked up secondhand or from library book sales.
      Yes... they are nice to read when you want something 'light'. xx

      Delete
  4. Beautiful photos as usual.. And you are productive,.... As usual xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately the 'to do' list is not getting any shorter :)). xx

      Delete
  5. Lovely poem. And such pretty flowers in the pitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lynda, thanks for sharing the knitting pattern, it is a lovely way to knit up blocks for a cozy blanket. Working on my second square :)
    Bean

    ReplyDelete