Sunday, September 11, 2022

Weekend Words

 From A Prairie Devotional ...

Even If

"If He doesn't, will you lose your faith?" - Old Man

When we pray for a miracle, we have to ask ourselves if our faith will remain even if the miracle doesn't come.  Or will it fall apart, as if we were trusting the miracle rather than the God of miracles?

God has the power to heal us and our loved ones, but how we respond says everything about surrender.  When Charles Ingalls's son James is shot and lies in a coma, Charles goes into the woods to pray and build an alter to God.  An angel, whom he names Old Man, asks him the question.  Charles's response is a confident no.  Nothing can take away his faith in God.

Whatever happens, it doesn't change who God is.  If He doesn't move the mountains or raise the dead, He's still faithful.  He's still good.

A small piece of metal stamped with IT IS WELL hangs on a chain around my neck.  I made it after my surgery, and I rarely take it off. It reminds me that even if God doesn't do what I hope or ask, He has been faithful to me through so much.  I'm not about to give up on Him now.  "It Is Well" is more than a song or saying.  It is total surrender to Jesus, our Lord and King.

The Ingalls family had their share of joys and sorrows, just as we do.  Charles demonstrated to his family (and a world of viewers) that God is worth trusting.  Even in the hardest moments of life, even if He doesn't answer our prayers.  Even if the events of your life are leaving you hopeless and you don't think you can go on another day, God is with you.  He is trustworthy, and He loves you.  Hold fast to your faith.

"If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God whom we serve is able to save us ... But even if He doesn't, we want to make it clear to you, Your Majesty, that we will never serve your gods." - Daniel 3:17-18 NLT

What happens when your prayers seem to go unanswered?  Is God still good even if He doesn't answer the way you had hoped?


From Our Daily Bread Classic Gems...

Reading and Remembering - Read 2 Timothy 4:13-18

"My soul faints with longing for your salvation, but I have put my hope in your word." - Psalm 119:81

My elderly aunt was having difficulty with her memory.  She tried to recall Scripture verses she had learned earlier in life, but they weren't coming to mind.  This bothered her.  I told her that God understands our weaknesses.  He remembers His promises even when we can't.  It's more important that we rest in His faithfulness.

Author Lillian Helm learned that lesson, too.  At 91, she spent an hour each day reading her Bible and Christian literature.  Her friends asked: "What good does all that reading do if you can't remember much of it?"  She replied by recounting her blessings and saying: "My cup runneth over.  I'm not concerned about my memory.  I just do my reading and God does the remembering."

Paul was in prison awaiting execution when he wrote to Timothy: "Bring ... my scrolls, especially the parchments" (2 Timothy 4:13).  He knew the importance of keeping his mind filled with God's truth.  All of us need to do that every day of our lives.

But Paul's confidence wasn't in his books.  It was in God, who would lovingly care for him and preserve him for His heavenly kingdom (v. 18).  That's true for all of us, even if we can no longer read or remember.

Reflect and Pray

I'll trust in God's unchanging Word, Till soul and body sever;

For though all things shall pass away, His word shall stand forever. - Anonymous

Memory may fail, but never God's promises.


The Difference

I got up early one morning and rushed right into the day;

I had so much to accomplish that I didn't have time to pray.

Problems just tumbled about me, and heavier came each task.

"Why doesn't God help me?" I wondered. He answered, "You didn't ask."

I wanted to see joy and beauty, but the day toiled on, grey and bleak,

I wondered why God didn't show me, He said "But you didn't seek."

I tried to come into God's presence; I used all my keys at the lock.

God gently and lovingly chided, "My child, you didn't knock."

I woke up early this morning, and paused before entering the day,

I had so much to accomplish that I had to take time to pray.

- Author unknown


4 comments:

  1. 1. Oh, my gosh - that image of the child - it's from my childhood!! We used to have prints, or plaques when we were little, a boy and a girl, I'm pretty sure. This is an old memory!
    2. This elderly woman who says she just does the reading and God does the remembering - I was just thinking on this the other day. That I don't "remember", or maybe I should say recall, the things I'm reading from my prayerbooks, etc. But a wise man had once told me something like this, that if I welcomed it as I was reading/studying, it would become part of me. Still, it's quite possible I should try harder to imprint it, but this is a comfort to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cute little image isn't it! Thanks to a google search :)

      Yes, I'm the same. My memory isn't what it used to be. But it has prompted me to do as this lady did, and 'just read'! And often I find, when it is needed, God will recall to my mind something I HAD read. I'm sure when we read God's Word, it is retained in there somewhere, and the Holy Spirit recalls it to us when needed. xx

      Delete