Sunday, June 6, 2021

Weekend Words

From Be Still and Know...


"So don't be anxious about tomorrow, God will take care of  your tomorrow too.  Live one day at a time." Matthew 6:34 

One day as I sat in a railroad station, a woman hurried in.  As I watched her, I was aware that she was having difficulty with her reservations.  Finally she came and sat beside me.  She related all that had gone wrong.  She looked at me and said very seriously, "Can you think of anything I should be worrying about that I am not?"  We smiled at that, yet by the way we live do we display that attitude?  I remember a time in my life when I thought I must be overlooking something if I wasn't worrying.

One of the greatest fears today is of the unknown, the uncertainty and insecurity of tomorrow.  God's Word tells us that we are not to be anxious about our tomorrows.

Worry accomplishes nothing.  It can't add to the length of life; it can't change its course; it can't solve one problem.  "Will all your worries add a single moment to your life?" (Matthew 6: 27)

Worry shows lack of trust in the Lord.  It is saying in effect, "I don't believe God is big enough to handle my problem."

Worry adds tomorrow's cares to today's load.  Someone has said, "What I have to do tomorrow has made a wreck of me today."

Worry is a useless expenditure of time.  In Psalm 37:8 we read, "Don't fret and worry - it only leads to harm."

This does not mean we are not to plan for our future, making no provision for our needs.  If He is mindful of the birds and flowers, will He not care for us?  But our trust must be in HIM.

Our tomorrows are in God's hands.  They are His tomorrows.  As they become our todays, we can deposit them with Him, knowing our sufficiency for them is in Him.

Someone has said, "Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its trials - it simply empties today of its joy.  Anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow - it empties today of its strength."


What-if

What-if took hold of both my hands

And shakily proclaimed,

"What if you cannot do this job?

You'll be the one who's blamed."


"What-if did really paralyze

My "I-will-try-it" hands;

And then it kicked my willing feet

So courage could not stand.


But when I paused and prayed to God,

And asked for faith instead,

The What-if monster had to flee,

Along with doubt and dread.


If What-if comes to steal your peace,

Do not invite him in.

He brings with him blind unbelief,

Which then can lead to sin.


Have faith in God for all your needs;

Trust Him for future days.

Look daily for His benefits,

And learn to know His ways.

- Gloria Mast


All photos taken on a recent trip to Hawley Beach, Tasmania


1 comment:

  1. Just lovely words! Haven't been on your blog for ages.. I think writing may be another of your many talents LK

    ReplyDelete