Friday, April 10, 2020

Good Friday

This week:

Cutting back the catmint borders in my front garden...
this is a before photo.  I still haven't finished...


Got all the wood stacked in my shed...
it's 4 rows deep!


Made a beef and vegetable casserole in my slow cooker...



Baked an apple and blackberry cake...



The website is HERE, but will also print it for you...

This Apple Slice uses only 5 ingredients, it’s really easy to make (and even easier to eat)!
Ingredients
  • 2 cups self raising flour
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3 apples, peeled, cored and diced (1cm)
  • 125g butter or margarine
  • 1 egg
Directions
  1. Toss apples with self raising flour and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
  2. Melt butter in a small saucepan on the stovetop or in a small bowl in the microwave. Stir in egg.
  3. Pour butter and egg into the apple mixture and mix until combined.
  4. Spoon into a greased and lined slice tin.
  5. Bake at 180 C for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Keeps for about 3 days.


As usual, I couldn't leave 'well enough alone', so made a few changes...

My 2 cups of flour were made up of white, whole wheat, spelt, buckwheat, almond meal.
I only used 1/2 cup of (brown) sugar
As I only had 2 apples I added some blackberries.
Also some spices - cinnamon, allspice, mixed spice, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger.
And because I'd used heavier flour, I added 1/2 a cup of milk so it wouldn't be too dry.

It worked! 
Tasted pretty good :)
 
 
 
Still getting out for my morning walks...


And the trees are starting to show their autumn colours...

 

I'll leave you with this one of my granddaughter Hazel...
Makes me want to get out my Little House on the Prairie DVDs and watch them :)
 
xx

4 comments:

  1. You are such a busy little bee.. Well done you 🙏! And thanks for apple recipe.. Am totally going to do it tomorrow with as many of your ingredients as I have. Have a blessed Easter LG.. Xo 💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your apple cake :)

      Easter blessings to you too! xx

      Delete
  2. Isn't she cute! I see self-rising flour a lot in recipes from your part of the world and Britain, but not in American recipes. Still, they do have it at the supermarket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The self-raising flour is used a lot here. It's just plain flour with baking powder and salt already added.

      And yes...she is cute :) xx

      Delete