Saturday, December 29, 2018

Weekend Words



As we approach the start of another year, I will again read this poem...

“My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think that I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you. And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing. I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire. And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road though I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death. I will not fear, for you are ever with me, and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.”
Thomas Merton, Thoughts in Solitude 


And a few more quotes that I like, to take you into the New Year...

"Do not be too moral.  You may cheat yourself out of too much life.  Aim above morality.  Be not simply good; be good for something" - Henry David Thoreau

"And when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left, your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." " - Isaiah 30:21

"Walk joyfully on the earth and respond to that of God in every human being." - George Fox

"There will come a time when you will believe everything is finished.  That will be the beginning." - Louis L'Amour

"Others can give you a name and a number, but they can never tell you who you really are.  That is something you yourself can only discover from within." - Thomas Merton

"Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream." - Malcolm Muggeridge

"A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it." - George Moore

"Groan and forget it." - Jessamyn West

"It's good to have an end to journey towards, but it is the journey that matters in the end." - Ursula K Le Guin

"I find television very educating.  Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

"Weeds are flowers too once you get to know them." - A A Milne

"Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting." - Anon


That's more than enough from me.  You've probably heard them before, but sometimes it's good to be reminded...

Do you have any favourite quotes?

xx

4 comments:

  1. Good thoughts all. Cheers and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chris!

      Hope 2019 is a great year for you too :) xx

      Delete
  2. Lynda, that Merton prayer is so perfect, that if that's your number one concern, how could you go wrong? xo The Muggeridge I had not heard before - the thought of dead fish doing anything gave me a jolt. :D The last one is so true, but we have to keep trying, I suppose. Or do you think Anonymous was saying that it's not worth it? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!

      On the Muggeridge quote... I think he's saying, don't be like a dead fish and do nothing, even if it means 'swimming against the tide'...

      And the last one... I think is saying be yourself, and if that's not 'normal', then so be it :) xx

      Delete