Friday, November 11, 2016

More on the Mennonites

I'm publishing a comment here that I received about THIS post, because perhaps not all of you read the comments and I thought these thoughts were interesting:

Hi there Lynda,
I wouldn't lay a foot next to their church or fellowship. They look good on the outside but nasty on the inside, many people have been hurt by the Mennonite because they are closed in group and because they make themselves look good on the outside. You said something about intimidation, my thats terrible if you felt that at first.
We are not all perfect but I would use wisdom going and fellow shipping with people like these. I attend a Baptist Church and the Baptist have many errors but I prefer to attend a Baptist then Mennonite and some way the Baptist seem different and I think Baptist are more spiritually right. I am not arguing here but I feel you need to know about this group.
Many blessings!


And here is my reply:

Hi Anonymous - I have to disagree with you. I have known these people for 4 years now and have found no 'nastiness' in them. And the intimidation did not come from them...it was all self imposed.
I have also studied them (and other Anabaptist groups) for about 10 years, so have a good grasp of their beliefs.

I'm sure there are good and bad Mennonite fellowships as there are Baptist fellowships...after all the churches are made up of fallible humans.

I am aware of their beliefs, and they do follow the Bible quite literally, which I know can cause problems for some people, but I guess it is up to us to search our hearts (and the Bible) and with the help of the Holy Spirit discern what God's will is for our own lives. I know the Mennonite church would not suit everyone, but the choice is ours.

I do not think their beliefs are unbiblical, although some of their individual church rules can be a bit of a stumbling block for some, especially those of us who did not grow up Mennonite. The church here is quite conservative compared to some other Mennonite fellowships.

There are 'degrees' of conservativism (is that a word?) in all denominations, I guess we need to find one that suits us.

As I said...I do not find their beliefs unbiblical, difficult yes...but then no-one ever said being a Christian was easy (least of all me!)

I appreciate your comments.

Blessings to you!



Feel free to add your thoughts!
 
 

6 comments:

  1. Good post and I agree with what you said. There is nastiness in all groups of people and no one group is immune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle - yes...we all need to search our own hearts first...

      Blessings to you! xx

      Delete
  2. How long would it take for you to become a member if you were to decide to join?
    How long would you have had to be attending for? Are there any Australians that have joined church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 'Unknown'

      I don't know the answers to your first 2 questions. I imagine it would be a personal thing and different for each individual.

      Oh course you can just attend church with them and not officially join (which is what I do). There is no pressure to join and everyone is welcome.

      As to your third question... from my visit with them a few weeks ago, I think there are 2 or 3 Australian families who have joined. I'm not sure if they are 'official' members, but I can find out for you, as my plan is to fellowship with them next Sunday, so I will ask :) xx

      Delete
    2. "How long would it take for you to become a member if you were to decide to join?" Essentially, it realistically takes a few years for the average worldly Australian to adapt to the ultra conservative Mennonite no internet lifestyle. During that time, if you become serious with them, you become a Seeker (like me) but eventually, you will be expected to live by their rules and church standards. You'll go from leading a worldly life (complete with internet, TV, Radio, music) to none of that, changing your inner character which then transforms into leading a godly life. Because it's a complete lifestyle change, it's not an overnight process and not everyone can do it. Over the time period, you slowly sacrifice and give up a bit more each year until you fit in. The harder thing is some ways, is to change your mindset to being an individualist, to thinking communally. Mennonites only think communally. Of course everything works around the bible and the sermon on the mount. Living the sermon on the mount becomes your daily life. Depending on where the Seeker is at, they may still use the internet and social media but eventually will give all that up. Once they are there, they can formally join the church and be baptised. Mennonites and in fact all plain Anabaptists, adopt the unequal yoke scripture to be separate from the world. What you give up is nothing compared to what you can. You gain a church family and can go most places in the world, knowing Anabaptists will be there to greet you at their door and vice versa.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your comments 'Anonymous'.

      I agree with many of your thoughts, and I am back fellow-shipping with the Mennonites since the beginning of the year. Third time lucky? :))

      I think part of the problem for me is that I had been trying to change myself, where as this time I am not pressuring myself, but allowing God to change me, and He does seem to be doing so, albeit it very slowly :)

      Where will it lead? I don't know. Will I eventually join the church? Don't know that either. But I am content to (hopefully) keep moving forward to a more God honouring life.

      And yes, the mindset change is the hardest thing for me, but God can change even that, and I have noticed, He is working in that area too.

      Can I ask... Are you in Australia? Do you have other family members who are seeking the Anabaptist lifestyle, or are you 'going it alone'? How long have you been 'seeking'? And has it been a continuous moving towards the Anabaptist life or (like me) have you come and gone?

      Once again I appreciate your thoughts and thank you.

      Delete