Friday, November 11, 2016

It's a date!


Date slice that is...


My friend Brenda asked for my date slice recipe...

It's actually Valerie's recipe with a few changes on my part.  Here's the original recipe:

Valerie's Date Slice

4oz/125g melted butter
4oz/125g sugar

Mix butter and sugar together. 

Stir in 1 beaten egg.

Add 1 cup of chopped dates
And 1 cup of self raising flour

Spread in greased and/or lined baking dish/tray and bake at 350F/180C  for 15-20 minutes or until cooked and slightly browned.

So simple!!

Lynda's version:  I only used 100g of brown sugar and substituted some of the flour with ground almonds.  I also added some cardamom, allspice and ginger to the mix.

Enjoy!!


For Yarn Along this week...

Decided to work on some crocheted baby blankets.  Quite a few of the ladies in the Mennonite church are having babies soon, so doing one in cream/blue/yellow, but will also do a cream/pink/green.

And I found this little bear pattern HERE, so thought I'd make some to go with the baby blankets, and also they would be a good size to go in the Operation Christmas Child shoeboxes, and the pattern could be easily adapted to be a little doll too.  I'm a bit late for this year, but can make a start for next...

Browsing and enjoying this book about Beatrix Potter.
 
Lunch time...chicken soup!  Then some crochet time with a cup of tea, and some letter writing.
 
  My head (migraine) is not too good today so am having an easy, inside day.
 
Enjoy your day!
 
xx

4 comments:

  1. The recipe sounds good! Love the baby blanket and teddy bear too! Going to be nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading about your date slice makes me remember the Date Bars that my mother used to make from a box mix. Now I can't remember if I ever tried to make something like that from scratch, but I bet I have a recipe for them around here somewhere.... They had a crumble topping... If I can't find that sort, I might try yours - thank you!! I love dates. Maybe I will also look to see if there is still a box mix on the shelves at the market. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello again Gretchen Joanna!!

      I like dates too, and put them in recipes even when they are not called for :)

      I made a chocolate weetbix slice the other day...and added dates. It was good!! xx

      Delete