Saturday, December 16, 2023

Weekend Words

From Our Daily Bread...

Appetite for Distraction - Read: Psalm 131

"I have calmed and quieted myself ... I am content." (Psalm 131:2)

I set my phone down, weary of the constant bombardment of images, ideas, and notifications that the little screen broadcasted.  Then, I picked it up and turned it on again.  Why?

In his book The Shallows, Nicholas Carr describes how the internet has shaped our relationship with stillness: "What the Net seems to be doing is chipping away my capacity for concentration and contemplation.  Whether I'm online or not, my mind now expects to take in information the way the Net distributes it: in a swiftly moving stream of particles.  Once I was a scuba diver in the sea of words.  Now I zip along the surface like a guy on a jet ski."

Living life on a mental jet ski doesn't sound healthy.  But how do we begin to slow down, to dive deeply into still spiritual waters?  

In Psalm 131, David writes, "I have calmed and quieted myself" (v.2).  David's words remind me that I have responsibility.  Changing habits starts with my choice to be still - even if I must make that choice over and over again.  Slowly, though, we experience God's satisfying goodness.  Like a little child, we rest in contentment, remembering that He alone offers hope (v. 3) - soul-satisfaction that no smartphone app can touch and no social media site can deliver.

-Adam R Holz

How does technology influence your ability to rest quietly before God?  Does your phone contribute to your contentment?  Why or why not?

Father, the world is awash in distraction that doesn't satisfy my soul.  Help me to trust You to fill me with genuine contentment. 


From Be Still and Know...

"And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth" (Genesis 1:17).

The southwestern area of our country has a lovely custom for outdoor lighting at Christmas time.  The people make luminarias by placing sand in large paper bags.  Candles are then placed in the sand.  When the candles are lighted, the sacks glow with a soft light, giving a beautiful effect as they are placed along sidewalks, doorways and porches.

To fulfill their purpose, not only must the luminarias be placed where they are to shine; they must be lighted as well.  Their beauty is not in the paper bag, the sand, or even the candle; but in the warm glow of the candle after it is lighted.

In Genesis 1:17 we read that the moon and stars had a special place in the heavenlies, for a special purpose.  They were placed "in the firmament of the heavens to give light upon the earth."

Our lives are to be shining lights for the Lord, reflecting His glory upon the earth.  The Bible compares us to candles.  "For thou wilt light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness" (Psalm 18:28).

There are many ways of letting our candle glow - a letter of encouragement, a friendly phone call, a cheery smile, a kindly deed.  Perhaps we are missing opportunities to shine for Him because we are looking for big places of service instead of taking advantage of the ones He has placed about us.  "Don't hide your light!  Let it shine for all; let your good deeds glow for all to see, so that they will praise your heavenly Father" (Matthew 5:16, LB).

As you place Christmas candles around your home this Christmas season, take time to check the candle of your life.  Is it shining brightly?  Or has it become dim by busyness, indifference, carelessness, or self-will?  Perhaps the wick needs to be cleaned and trimmed so our light will shine more brightly.

At this Christmas season, may the world not just be aglow with the lights of candles and Christmas lights, but with the heavenly Light of the Word, the Lord Jesus Christ, shining through each of our lives. 

4 comments:

  1. I like the luminaria thought.
    Isn't this a little early for your weekly meditations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's 4pm Saturday here :)
      I prefer to get it up on Saturdays, so I'm not pressured on Sundays, but often I'm running late :)) xx

      Delete
  2. Reminded of the hymn "This little light of mine" we often sang as children. Xx

    ReplyDelete