Thursday, December 28, 2023

The days between... (and family Christmas photos)

 I hope you all had a nice Christmas!

I enjoy the time between Christmas and New Year.  After all the busyness of the lead up to Christmas day, and before we launch into the new year, these 'between days' are a chance to rest, reflect (on the year just gone), refocus, and reset (our goals for the coming year). [I was having trouble finding a 4th r word, so had to resort to the dictionary (do people even still use dictionaries ?!?) for 'reset'].

But I want to tell you about my book I bought myself for Christmas: Teatime Discipleship...


I'm reading the chapter on A Decluttered Soul.  A new year is a good time to declutter; souls, minds, homes...  

Here's a snippet:

"In the real world, we can all see how too much clutter in our rooms and too many piles of things cause us to feel overwhelmed.  Slowly, I have learned to declutter, to simplify, as often as I can...

I have come to realize my brain and heart can be the same way - cluttered with worries, responsibilities, duties, finances, time constraints, expectations, disappointments, critical attitudes, resentment, and grief.  I have stored up distinct sadness, confusion, disappointment, and occasionally anger that needs to be dealt with.   All these added together tend to create soul piles and mind clutter.  If I don't take the time to sort the piles, my spirit becomes a mess and my heart becomes overwhelmed and weary.

Each day brings an opportunity to make a new plan, to simplify the mind messes.  In the same way that clearing out closets brings me relief, soul and mind decluttering brings me rest, equipping me to face each day in peace.  So I come to the place where I know I will find the help I need.  I come to God and ask Him to help me, His child, and ask Him how to clean out and organize my soul.  He can help me get rid of the junk that is unnecessary, that burdens my thoughts and feelings and leave peace in its place..."

it's a lovely read 

And here are the family photos from Christmas around the world...

American Christmas...

Oli, Dylan, Patrick, Natasha, Zak


Canberra Christmas...
Jaya and Jefferson


South Australian Christmas...
Hayley, Hazel, Ben

Tasmanian Christmas (at Marnie's)...

Tom, Denver, Marnie, Sophie, and neighbor Jill


Tom and Marnie


Denver and Sophie

Denver made a Lego nativity scene...


I was mostly taking the photos, but...
here's one of me with Marnie

I'll leave you with this prayer that someone sent me many years ago...


Bless us Lord, this Christmas
with quietness of mind.
Teach us to be patient
and always to be kind.
Show us that in quietness
we can feel Your presence near
filling us with joy and peace
throughout the coming year.

This is my prayer for you!
xx

7 comments:

  1. Hello Lynda! Yes, I'm finally making a presence back in blogland! Nice to see the family photos from all around and thanks for sharing some of your new book - it sounds delightful! I've actually dedicated a page to my blog just yesterday that has a decluttering list for the year to try getting the house in order!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharm! Great to see you posting again. Will go and read now. Seems like 'decluttering' might be the word for 2024 :)) xx

      Delete
  2. It's so nice to see these photos. The paper crowns are cute - they must be a thing where you live?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paper 'crowns' were in the Christmas crackers (no, not the biscuit/cookie type), but I think it's more a British thing. Will explain in my next 'home' post... xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos and prayer Lynda blessings for 2024 from Marie in Horsham vic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got to read this LK.Lovely family photos..sounds like a nice time was had.
    Diary seems very impressive.xx

    ReplyDelete