Sunday, July 23, 2023

Weekend Words

 From Be Still and Know...


"Cause me to hear thy lovingkindness in the morning; for in thee do I trust: cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee" Psalm 143:8)

In the morning, when you waken, what is your response to the day?  Do you want to turn over and go back to sleep?  Are you grumpy?  Does everything seem to be wrong?  Or do you jump out of bed, ready for the day?

The psalmist gave a wonderful formula for beginning a new day.  He said, "Cause ME to hear thy lovingkindness in the MORNING."  We are to turn our thoughts to God first - THY lovingkindness.  Do we begin the day thinking of God and His goodness to us?  Or do we rush into His presence and out without becoming quiet enough to hear Him speak to us?

How different a day can be when we begin it with Him.  The day may be dark and dreary, we may not feel well, we may be facing great problems and needs.  But our spirits are lifted as we pause to praise and thank Him for His lovingkindness.

The psalmist reflects this as he says, "For I lift up my soul unto THEE."  We read in Lamentations 3:22 and 23, "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not.  They are new EVERY MORNING: Great is Thy faithfulness."

As we quietly wait before Him until we become confidently aware of His presence, we will be assured of His guidance for the day. "Cause me to know the WAY wherein I should WALK."  We can hear His voice saying, "This is the way, walk ye in it, when ye turn to the right hand or when ye turn to the left" (Isaiah 30:21).

What an encouragement to know that the day doesn't depend on us, but on Him - hear Him.  Neither does the way depend on us - walk with Him.  "Let me see Your kindness to me in the morning, for I am trusting You.  Show me where to walk, for my prayer is sincere" (Psalm 143:8, LB).


From A Celebration of the Simple Life...

Lasting Contentment

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." - Philippians 4:8

The last time my husband and I stayed with our Amish friends in Pennsylvania, I observed their grandchildren playing together.  They weren't bored and didn't complain because there was nothing to do.  They found enjoyment in simple things like reading, playing a ball game, petting their dog, riding their scooters, swinging, and swimming in the pond.  They didn't need computer or electronic games.  They laughed and talked together and didn't send text messages in order to communicate.

In our fast-paced electronic age, many "Englishers" don't take the time to enjoy the simple things life has to offer.  We rush from place to place, hurry to complete our tasks, and find that our lives are full of stress and worry.  We've become exhausted and discontented because we don't spend enough quality time with our family and friends.  Many people strive so hard to get ahead that they don't see what's right beside them.  Material things don't bring true happiness, nor do they bring lasting contentment.  When we look around at the beauty God created and find joy in being with those we love, our discontent fades and appreciation sets in.

Heavenly Father, remind me to appreciate the things You've given me; and no matter what's going on in the world around me, help me to learn to be content in whatever state I'm in.  Amen. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this psalm, I'll be writing that down and sticking it where I can see it as a reminder to start the day right ❤️

    ReplyDelete