Saturday, May 7, 2022

Weekend Words

 From More Letters from Ruth's Attic...

Morning Song

"It is good to give thanks to the Lord, and to sing praises to Your name, O Most High; to declare your loving-kindness in the morning, and Your faithfulness every night." - Psalm 92:1-2

Many years ago, I had been getting up early, fixing myself a cup of coffee and then sitting in the rocker on the front porch while I prayed for each of our children and for each of theirs.

One morning I woke earlier than usual.  It was 5 o'clock, with dawn just breaking over the mountains.  I collected my cup of coffee and settled into the old rocker.  Suddenly I realized a symphony of bird song was literally surrounding me.  The air was liquid with music, as if the whole creation were praising God at the beginning of a new day.  I chuckled to hear the old turkey gobbler that had recently joined our family, gobbling away down in the woods at the top of his voice as if he were a song sparrow.

And I learned a lesson.  I had been beginning my days with petitions, and I should have been beginning them with praise.

When the disciples asked our Lord to teach them how to pray, He gave them what we commonly know as the Lord's Prayer.  The very first line is one of praise: "Hallowed be thy name."

In the 17th century, John Trapp wrote: "He lets out His mercies to us for the rent of our praise, and is content that we may have the benefit of them so He may have the glory."

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I praise You for who You are and for the abundant blessings You provide.  I join with all of creation in thanking You and worshiping You at the beginning of each day.  To You be all the glory.



"In every thing give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you." - 1 Thessalonians 5:8

There is a legend about two angels - Angel Requests and Angel Thanks.  Each morning they come from heaven and go on errands all day.  At the close of the day Angel Requests has his basket full, but Angel Thanks only has a few in his basket.  Have you ever stopped to consider how many "Thank You" messages you send up to God in comparison to the number of requests?

Thanksgiving is not an arbitrary choice we have, but it is a command from God.  "in EVERYTHING GIVE THANKS."  It is not difficult to give thanks when life is going along smoothly and we have what we want.

But what about the times when everything goes wrong?  When we are sick?  Discouraged?  In despair?  Heartbroken?

Regardless of our circumstances, we are told to give thanks; give thanks IN everything, not FOR everything.  "Thank [God] in everything - no matter what the circumstances may be, be thankful and give thanks; for this is the will of God for you [who are] in Christ Jesus [the Revealer and Mediator of that will]" (1 Thessalonians 5:18, Amplified).

This Scripture verse tells us we are to give thanks, for it is the WILL OF GOD FOR US.  Paul reminds us, "We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor], all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to those who love God and are called according to [His] purpose" (Romans 8:28, Amplified).  It must be personal - "concerning YOU."

We may be going through testings and trials today.  We can be thankful that God loves us enough to trust us with testings.  We can thank Him for the necessary lessons we are learning.  We can thank Him for the assurance of knowing that He has the answer for our need.

As we thank Him for all the happenings in our life, the unpleasant ones as well as the pleasant, He can turn them into blessings.  Thanksgiving can lift us above our circumstances.

Have you been thanking Him in everything?  Take time to do so today.


5 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful reminder Lynda! I've actually been thinking about doing another gratitude journal and daily write down the things that I am thankful for. And to give praise and thanks before any petitions is another thing I should do more consistently. A very happy mother's Day to you Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thank God each evening, when I pray before bed, for the blessings in my day. But I should really write them down, because I forget, over time, just how much the Lord has blessed me each and every day!

      Delete
  2. Oh, isn't it wonderful to hear the birds in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I have trees outside my bedroom window and I often hear them singing when I wake up. So does the cat, who can't wait to get outside! :))

      Delete