Sunday, May 1, 2022

On the home front...

We've had some wet weather the last couple of days, so I've been able to get a bit more inside time.

These were mailed off to Knit 4 Charities for Backpack for Kids (Vic) during the week.  They had also asked for kids underwear and socks, so I picked some up on special at the supermarket...

I'm looking forward to getting started collecting for the Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes this month.


Knitting a pair of house slippers for myself...

This book is a real page turner!  It's set in Alaska, so how could I not love it!!...
and started a crocheted lap blanket

My bedtime reads...
finished War-Torn Valley, and started Eyes for My Heart last night

Marnie came to stay last weekend as Denver was away mountain climbing (Mt Osa) with friends.
She and I did the short Lilydale Falls walk on the Saturday.  Here's a few photos...


We incorporated a photo shoot for her new business venture: Campfire Beanies...








It was a magical place!!

It seems to me I'd like to go  Where bells don't ring, nor whistles blow,

Nor clocks don't strike, nor gongs sound,

And I'd have stillness all around.


Not real stillness, but just the trees, Low whispering, or the hum of bees,

Or brooks faint babbling over stones,

In strangely, softly tangled tones.


Or maybe a cricket or katydid, Or the songs of birds in the hedges hid,

Or just some such sweet sound as these,

To fill a tired heart with ease...

(Nixon Waterman, extract from "Far From the Madding Crowd")


4 comments:

  1. I love watching the Alaskan shows with all the self sufficiency etc so the book looks like one I'd really enjoy as well! I'd love to go visit Alaska one day! The other book "War Torn Valley" sounds like a good read as well! Do you buy your books or are you able to get ones like this from your library? Love that Marnie has started her own business - it looks great and what a fabulous idea!! Good idea to begin the Christmas boxes now - I used to do those with the children when they were younger and we lived in Brisbane but haven't done them since then. I've been debating about making some slippers for myself but I'm not sure if they would be too slippery with the tiled floor area - I'll have to think on that one (although I often wear socks so ??)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently discovered a couple of good programs on NITV: 'High Arctic Haulers' and 'True North Calling', both of which I am enjoying. I'd love to visit Alaska too, but Scotland is top of my 'go to' place :)
      War Torn Valley and similar books I read, are from Rod and Staff publishers in the US, but I order them through my church. The Kristin Hannah book I picked up at the op shop, but the library has many of hers. xx

      Delete