Sunday, September 5, 2021

Weekend Words

 Both readings from  A Year's Journey with God...


Clean Exercise Books

See, I am doing a new thing!  Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? - Isaiah 43:19

This time of year always reminds me of going back to school after the summer holidays.  Moving up to a new class, perhaps, or even a new school with a new uniform.  I actually loathed school so I hastily rejected all those memories, but I did love being given new exercise books.  All last year's blots, crossings-out or rude comments from teachers had been thrown away; now all I had before me were endless clean, blank pages waiting to receive the brilliant compositions I was determined to produce that year.

Fortunately we don't have to wait a year to make a new start with God; He gives us a new exercise book every morning: 'Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!' (2 Corinthians 5:17)

It is so important to remember that we have a God who loves New Beginnings, especially when life feels empty or merely a repetitive grind.  Unfortunately God doesn't always change our circumstances, but He really can change the way we feel about them.  Rather than being under our circumstances He wants us to expect Him to give us all kinds of gifts and blessings in the circumstances!  And to expect new ones every day!

"Sometimes He takes away that which is most precious so that into the void of a life that is utterly broken He may pour the glory of His indwelling love." - Dr Alan Redpath (1907-89)


A New Challenge

The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart'...'Ah, Sovereign Lord,' I said, 'I do not know how to speak; I am only a child.'  But the Lord said to me, 'Do not say, "I am only a child."  You must go to everyone I send you to and say whatever I command you.  Do not be afraid of them, for I am with you and will rescue you,' declares the Lord.  Then the Lord reached out His hand and touched my mouth and said to me, 'Now, I have put my words in your mouth.' - Jeremiah 1:4-9

Is the Lord calling you into a new chapter of your life?  Asking you to take on some new role or sending you to a new place among strangers?  Perhaps you feel a bit daunted, and you're wondering how you'll cope?  Jeremiah probably felt like that too, but all God needed was the 'yes' in his heart - He did the rest!

When I started out in public ministry I felt like jelly - until I met an old lady called Isabel Macdonald.  She founded a worldwide organisation which has blessed thousands of young women, the Girl Crusader Union.  I told her how I felt and she quietly replied, 'Our only qualification for service is to know your own utter inadequacy, and to know and rely on His total adequacy.'  That little sentence turned my jelly into steel.

God calls no-one to a special ministry of service for Him without providing the resources by which that ministry can be accomplished.  And remember this - no matter the task ahead of you, it is never as great as the power behind you. - Selwyn Hughes


4 comments:

  1. Why do we need encouragement week after week? But we do, and these weekly reflections are always very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I glad you enjoy them Lisa. And thank you for 'encouraging' me by letting me know :) xx

      Delete
  2. Such precious promises from Him.. Amen 🙏 thank you LK

    ReplyDelete