Sunday, March 14, 2021

Weekend Words

 From Our Daily Bread devotional...


Storms of Fear - Read Mark 4:35-41


[Jesus] said to his disciples, "Why are you so afraid?  Do you still have no faith?" - Mark 4:40


In a TV commercial I saw recently, a woman casually asked someone in a group watching TV, "What are you searching for, Mark?"  "A version of myself that doesn't make decisions based on fear," he responded soberly - not realizing that she was just asking what he liked to watch on TV!

Whoa, I thought.  I wasn't expecting a TV commercial to hit me so profoundly!  But I related to poor Mark: I too feel embarrassed by the way fear sometimes seems to direct my life.

Jesus' disciples also experienced the profound power of fear.  Once, as they headed across the Sea of Galilee (Mark 4:35), "a furious squall came up" (v37).  Terror gripped them, and they suggested that Jesus (who'd been sleeping!) might not care about them: " Teacher, don't you care if we drown?" (v38).

Fear distorted the disciples' vision, blinding them to Jesus' good intentions for them.  After He rebuked the wind and waves ((v39), Christ confronted the disciples with two penetrating questions: "Why are you so afraid?  Do you still have no faith?" (v40).

Storms rage in our lives as well, don't they?  But Jesus' questions can help us put our fears in perspective.  His first question invites us to name our fears.  The second invites us to entrust those distorted feelings to Him - asking Him for eyes to see how He guides us even through life's most raging storms.

Adam R Holz

What storms are you facing right now?  How can you entrust your fears and emotions to Jesus when the winds blow and the waters rise?

Loving Savior, thank You that You're always present in the storm.  As I move through life's scary moments, help me each day to talk to You and entrust You with my fears.



"What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee." - Psalm 56:3

"Thou wilt keep in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee."                     - Isaiah 26:3


1 comment: