Friday, September 18, 2020

Domesticity

 It's been a week of domestic pursuits...

Sewing...

I hadn't done any for over a year, because I didn't have a table low enough, or a chair high enough...

But the idea occurred to me (I'm a bit slow sometimes) to use my desk.  The pull out part that I normally sit my lap top on.  And it worked a treat!  It does bounce around a bit if I sew too fast, and a bigger table would be better, but... It didn't cost me anything (just a bit of brain work)...


just ignore the mess on the desk

This was a long sleeved button front dress with a collar , but a bit over the top as a dress, and it was also a bit short (I prefer mid calf to ankle length).  I really liked the fabric, so cut it off just under the armholes, removed the elastic in the waist, and sewed another waistband (bias binding and elastic) and viola...a dropped waist skirt!




The fabric is really pretty paisley on a heavier weight brushed cotton...


It was an op shop find for a couple of dollars.  And I've save the rest of the fabric for ?  I might add a couple of pockets.  I like pockets.


Cooking...

corn fritters

Lunch...

 spaghetti bolognaise, broccoli, beetroot/redbeet


And after lunch...
chocolate crunch (aka weetbix slice)

Garden work...


Working on moving the hellebores to the back of the garden bed (closer to the fence) and transplanting lower growing plants towards the front.


But I will leave them massed under the greengage plum tree, and probably move a few more there to fill in the gaps...


And my honeysuckle, that I bought in a small pot last Spring is really taking off...



Crochet...

Still working on the granny squares (2  to go) and still reading (and enjoying) Old Houses, New Home...

not getting as much inside time now that Spring is here and there is much to do in the garden


A quote I read this week...

"There is a magic machine that sucks carbon out of the air.  It costs very little and builds itself.  It's called a tree." 

George Monbiot

this was taken down at the river about this time last year.  It's one of my favourites :)


That's all folks!

Time to get back to work :)

xx

6 comments:

  1. Like me, you found another use for a table! Great. Brushed cotton is nice, and you only find it in thrift stores, it seems. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The skirt is very comfortable to wear, but I need to add some pockets :) xx

      Delete
  2. What a lovely week and hooray for repurposing the dress. I love your crochet squares the colours are calming and soothing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally have all the squares finished and am now sewing them together :) xx

      Delete
  3. Your energy levels are impressive Lynda :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are sporadic rather than constant :)) xx

      Delete