Sunday, July 19, 2020

Weekend Words

From Beside the Still Waters...

The Bible, Our Roadmap to Heaven - Read: John 10:1-16

Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. - Psalm 119:105


When I plan to travel somewhere and am not familiar with the way, I like to study a road map ahead of time.  By doing this I know what towns I'll go through, where I'll need to change routes, and what landmarks I'll see along the way.  Getting acquainted with the routes will help me to reach my destination safely without getting lost.  We may know where we want to go, but knowing how to get there is important.  The same is true of travelling to Heaven.  Do we want to get there safely?  The Bible will show us the way, as stated in today's key verse.

There are many possibilities of getting sidetracked on our journey.  Some people will tell us that the Bible way is too dangerous or that it cannot be trusted, but we must close our ears to those voices and persist in keeping on the right way.  Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." (John 14:6)

Pilgrim's Progress is the well-known allegory about a Christian's journey to Heaven.  In that story, two men named Formalist and Hypocrisy came tumbling over the wall and started walking with Christian.  They felt that they were all right because they were in the way as well as he.  But they failed to reach the Celestial City because they had taken a shortcut instead of coming by the way of the cross.  Jesus said, "If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me." (Matthew 16:24).  This is the way of the cross, the only way by which we can reach Heaven.  Let us make sure we are travelling on that way.

Benuel Glick - Berlin, PA






No comments:

Post a Comment