Saturday, May 30, 2020

Weekend Words

From Beside the Still Waters...
Rejoicing or...? - Read Nehemiah 8

Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; for praise is comely for the upright - Psalm 33:1

In frequently driving through the city of Columbus, Ohio, we get to see all manner of people.  Some appear to be frustrated and upset, taking unnecessary risks as they weave in and out of traffic.  Some seem to be on edge, ready to explode.  Many can't wait, so they rush ahead and then at the last minute crowd the line, hindering the flow of traffic.  Some apparently got up too late and must eat breakfast on the run.  Other drivers are apparently set on becoming statistics as they seemingly must use their phones, regardless of how many others have been killed while doing so.  Some frown and some smile.

As Christians 'driving' thorough life, do we act the same as the rushing, frustrated masses around us, or are we noticeably different?  The phrase "rejoice in the Lord" appears seven times in the Old Testament and twice in the New Testament.  The word "joy" is found 161 times and "rejoice" 184 times in the Bible.  Do we get the message?  As Christians we are different not just for the sake of being different but because of our personal relationship with God!  Joy is simply a by product of being right with our Maker.

Jesus said, "Peace I leave with you... Let not your heart be troubled" (John 14:27).  As God's children we have reason to be joyful, yes, even in the midst of frustrating difficulties.  In the traffic jams we face, do we demonstrate that "praise is comely for the upright"?  When others observe us, can they see that we have joy in our heart, or do they observe furrowed brows of impatience?  The predicaments we encounter may be the very circumstances God wants to use for perfecting us.  Don't hinder God's working.  Rejoice!
Denver Yoder - Somerset, OH


Sermons We See - Edgar Albert Guest

I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day;
I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way.
The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear,
Fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear;
And the best of all the preachers are the men who live their creeds,
For to see good put in action is what everybody needs.

I soon can learn to do it if you'll let me see it done;
I can watch your hands in action, but your tongue too fast may run.
And the lecture you deliver may be very wise and true,
But I'd rather get my lessons by observing what you do;
For I might misunderstand you and the high advise you give,
But there's no misunderstanding how you act and how you live.

When I see a deed of kindness, I am eager to be kind.
When a weaker brother stumbles and a strong man stays behind
Just to see if he can help him, then the wish grows strong in me
To become as big and thoughtful as I know that friend to be.
And all travelers can witness that the best of guides today
Is not the one who tells them, but the one who shows the way.

One good man teaches many, men believe what they behold;
One deed of kindness noticed is worth forty that are told.
Who stands with men of honor learns to hold his honor dear,
For right living speaks a language which to every one is clear.
Though an able speaker charms me with his eloquence, I say,
I'd rather see a sermon than to hear one, any day.



And a new song from Sounds Like Reign has just been uploaded to YouTube.  Enjoy! 

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, yes. That Yoder piece is true, all right. I don't know how different we are from the rest, much of the time. But these reminders are good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly make a person (me!) stop and think, "What do others see in me?" xx

      Delete