Friday, February 15, 2019

Days of jam and bread

Made up a batch of greengage plum jam...
still more plums from my tree in the freezer waiting to be 'jammed'




it's delicious!


Then I took a coffee break and browsed my stash of Grass Roots magazines...



Baked a banana, date and walnut loaf...


Here's the basic recipe...


...which (of course)...I changed :)

Didn't have any self-raising wholemeal flour, so used a cup of white self-raising flour, 1/3 cup buckwheat flour, 1/3 cup spelt flour, 1/3 cup almond meal (to make it up to the 2 cups).

Instead of a teaspoon of cinnamon, I added a combination of cinnamon, mixed spice, allspice, nutmeg, cardamom and cloves (go easy with the cloves and nutmeg as the flavours are quite strong).

I added some chopped walnuts and chopped dates.  I soaked the dates in the milk to soften a bit while I was preparing the other ingredients.

And before putting in the oven I sprinkled the top of the loaf with some brown sugar and cinnamon.

Easy Peasy!

Enjoy!!



Picked up these potted plants from a country roadside/farm gate stall yesterday..
 two English lavender, one jasmine and one sage


Reading Homespun (from my bookshelf)…
just finishing off the edging and sewing in a few ends on my 'green granny'


And picked up these ones from the library...
all true stories relating to WW2 experiences


Loving these busy days, the cooler weather, and no (literal) headaches!!

xx

6 comments:

  1. I anxiously await cooler days. It has been a long hot summer. Mum bought me homespun today and I look forward to reading it.

    Your jam looks wonderful and I love the green granny squares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying reading Homespun, I hope you do too.

      I've finally woven all the ends in on my green grannies, just have to do a final edging round and it's finished! xx

      Delete
  2. As long as it isn't sixteen tons of jam and bread. :D You're starting a trend, you know - the song titles. How long can you keep it up is the question? I made a banana chocolate bread yesterday - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ours is not to reason why, ours is but to do or...not??

      I might have started it but it's your fault we are keeping it going :))

      Choc banana bread sounds nice. I have a yummy lemon slice recipe I got from Marnie which I hope to try soon. xx

      Delete
  3. From Natasha:

    "Greengages brings back memories of a house we had at Uni, so yummy we used to make greengage crumble every week.

    Still love your green blanket.

    Where will you plant your new plants?

    Boys love banana bread, so will give it a try and they can help since they're on winter break now for a week."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm loving the greengage jam, it's nice and tangy and not too sweet, sort of like apricot jam.

      Just as well I enjoyed making the green granny because I've got orders for 2 more from family members :))

      The jasmine will go along the side/back fence with the other 3 I have planted there and will hopefully grow up to cover the fence. Not sure where I'll put the others.

      You could add other fruit/nuts to the banana bread instead of the dates/walnuts. I think blueberries would be nice. Enjoy! xx

      Delete