Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Let's party...Mennonite style

I attended the surprise 40th Wedding Anniversary party of Harold and Phyllis Weaver on Sunday afternoon at Chudleigh Hall.  Harold is the minister of the Mennonite Church here in Deloraine (as far as I know the only Conservative Mennonite Church in Australia).  I fellowshipped with them for 6 months when I first moved to Deloraine and have continued to keep in touch.

They had no idea about the party, thinking they were just going to family for supper :))

Here's the hall looking lovely...


We had a few announcements/speeches, some singing (a capella), family stories and a slide show of Harold and Phyllis's family life over the past 40 years of marriage.  A devotional by one of the older men, then a time of food and fellowship...
 mostly the younger girls at this table


 younger boys on the left
families interspersed among the other tables


You can see the food table set up on the right.  We filed past with our empty plates and the girls served us...a yummy feast (chicken, salad, fresh bread...and for dessert chocolate cake and icecream, tea/coffee...and fresh fruit, nuts and water on the tables)...
The main guests/special couple table at the front of the hall (set up as they would for a wedding supper)
Sorry I didn't get a close up photo of the Anniversary cake (you can see it in the middle of the table)


Harold...saying a few words...
Harold and Phyllis
 
 
It was so nice to spend time with old and new friends...
 
I do miss them all...
 
xx

4 comments:

  1. How interesting! Thanks for sharing that. I admire people who live their faith so openly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine!

      Being with them again made me realise how much I miss their fellowship. I suppose I know them a bit better now and am not so intimidated by them :). They always make me feel really welcome and I'm sure they would be happy for me to join them, but for me, having not grown up in a Mennonite/Anabaptist faith, I always baulk at that final step.

      Of course I could still fellowship/worship with them and not actually join the church, as other Australian families have done, but to me that kind of defeats the purpose. xx

      Delete
  2. Hi there Lynda,
    I wouldn't lay a foot next to their church or fellowship. They look good on the outside but nasty on the inside, many people have been hurt by the Mennonite because they are closed in group and because they make themselves look good on the outside. You said something about intimidation, my thats terrible if you felt that at first.
    We are not all perfect but I would use wisdom going and fellow shipping with people like these. I attend a Baptist Church and the Baptist have many errors but I prefer to attend a Baptist then Mennonite and some way the Baptist seem different and I think Baptist are more spiritually right. I am not arguing here but I feel you need to know about this group.
    Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anonymous - I have to disagree with you. I have known these people for 4 years now and have found no
      'nastiness' in them. And the intimidation did not come from them...it was all self imposed. I have also studied them (and other Anabaptist groups) for about 10 years, so have a good grasp of their beliefs.

      I'm sure there are good and bad Mennonite fellowships as there are Baptist fellowships...after all the chruches are made up of fallible humans.

      I am aware of their beliefs and they do follow the Bible quite literally, which I know can cause problems for some people, but I guess it is up to us to search our hearts (and the Bible) and with the help of the Holy Spirit discern what God's will is for our own lives. I know the Mennonite church would not suit everyone, but the choice is ours.

      I do not think their beliefs are unbiblical, although some of their individual church rules can be a bit of a stumbling block for some, especially those of us who did not grow up Mennonite. The church here is quite conservative compared to some other Mennonite fellowships.

      There are 'degrees' of conservativism (is that a word?) in all denominations, I guess we need to find one that suits us.

      As I said..I do not find their beliefs unbiblical, difficult yes...but then no-one ever said being a Christian was easy (least of all me!)

      I appreciate your comments.

      Blessings to you!

      Delete