Thursday, December 19, 2013

Character Traits

Q: What do you do when it's 2am and you can't sleep?

A: Get up, make a cup of tea and write it down!


So here it is....

I was having a conversation with a friend recently about character traits.  Those we desire/admire in ourselves/others.  Are we drawn to those traits in others that we lack?

We decided on two traits that were important to us.

Mine were openness and honesty.

His were confidence and vulnerability.

I desire openness (which on reflection is really another word for vulnerability...or allowing others to see our vulnerability) and honesty in others, and I consider they are character traits I possess.

He considered he was confident...but not vulnerable (?)

On first appearances the two traits of confidence and vulnerability appear to be completely opposed to each other, but then I thought about how the two can work together.

Is his confidence (strength of character) really masking his vulnerability? 

And is my vulnerability (or willingness to be vulnerable) really showing a confidence (or strength) I was unaware I had?

hmm....food for thought??

Now that I've got that sorted....I'll get back to bed :)




No comments:

Post a Comment