Sunday, January 12, 2020

Weekend Words


This  year, one of the devotionals I am using is A Year's Journey with God - Jennifer Rees Larcombe.  This is the entry for 1st January 2020...

Doing it with Jesus

Forgetting what is behind, and straining towards what is ahead, I press on towards the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenwards in Christ Jesus. Philippians 3:13-14

How are you feeling about stepping out into this New Year?  Perhaps you're 'straining towards what is ahead' like an Olympic sprinter, full of hope and confidence?  Or you could be limping up to the start, exhausted by Christmas and crippled by endless problems.  You might even be hanging back, dreading some of the forthcoming events in your brand-new dairy, or unable to face life without someone you have recently lost.

As I was writing that, an email popped into my inbox from my friend in Australia.  She finished by saying, 'Oh well, here's another year to do with Jesus.'  I like that!  Feels like a large injection of faith.

We've got to 'do' this year, however we feel about its shadowy uncertainties, and it is uncertain for all of us - even if we've planned it out to the last detail.  Life on this planet is always unpredictbale.  Yet one thing is rock solid sure: we don't have to face the future alone; we can 'do it with Jesus'.

His promise to us rings out like a glorious peal of church bells, ringing in the New Year: 'Do not be afraid...for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you' (Deuteronomy 31:6).

Thank you, Lord, that nothing is going to happen this year that you and I can't handle together.  Amen.


I had another hymn chosen, but then at church this morning we sang this as our closing song, and it was so uplifting that I thought I'd share it instead.  And the photos are beautiful too!

And the photo in the song with the rainbow is over The Nut at Stanley, Tasmania.  If you've been following my blog, you'll know that I love that place :)

Have a blessed week!

xx


No comments:

Post a Comment