Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Bread alone?

Having not made any for a couple of years, I had the urge to make some Irish Soda Bread...


I then had the urge to eat some.!  It's very morish…
especially with blueberry jam


Here's the recipe:



Notes:  My 3 cups of flour were 1 cup white, 1 cup wholemeal, 1/2 cup spelt, 1/2 cup buckwheat (because that was what I had, but you could use any combination).

The dried non-fat milk is powdered skim milk.

I used honey instead of sugar.

Baking soda is bi-carb soda, not baking powder.

And I also added some (amount is nonspecific, just what ever you like) sunflower, pumpkin and caraway seeds, but you could also add nuts and dried fruit if you wanted a sweeter version.

And I cooked it in a bread/loaf tin.  This is the first time I've tried this as previously I'd been dumping it onto a tray and getting a more damper shaped loaf, but the loaf tin worked well (and having it a loaf shape), so I will use that in future.

I maybe cooked it a bit longer (40 minutes?) and the oven temp of 350 is Fahrenheit, which is about 175 Celsius.

So easy!  

But not so easy to stop eating it!!!

Now instead of cake or biscuits/cookies, I just have a piece of bread.

With a cup of tea!

Maybe man cannot live on bread alone, but you almost could...

xx


2 comments:

  1. I guess it's women who can live on bread alone. Yeah, it's hard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a Bible reference! Did you see it as that?

      Delete