Sunday, April 3, 2022

Weekend Words

 From Be Still and Know...

"Fear thou not; for I am with thee; be not dismayed; for I am thy God." (Isaiah 41:10)

As you begin a new day, do you wonder what it will hold?  Because of the uncertainty and insecurity of life, fear of the unknown often fills our hearts.  We may fear loss of employment, sickness, being left alone, or failure of being accepted in society.  People are sometimes so gripped by fear that they can't cope with life.

What place should fear have in the life of a Christian?  If we are honest, we must admit that at some time each of us has experienced fear.  Satan makes every effort to keep us fearful, robbing us of trust in the Lord.  He will attempt to discredit the power of God to handle our situations and keep us from the assurance of His personal interest in us.

Fear is not of God.  "For God has not given us the spirit of fear" (2 Timothy 1:7).  Throughout the Bible two simple, encouraging words, "Fear not," reassure us that we can TRUST GOD.

In today's Scripture verse we are reminded of two reasons why we need not fear.  First, because "I AM WITH YOU."  When fear comes He speaks these comforting words, "Fear not, for I am with YOU."  It is easier, when going through trouble, if someone shares the burden with you.  In our times of stress and strain God is our present companion, easing our load and encouraging our hearts.  He does not say, "I HAVE been with thee," or "I WILL be with thee," but "I AM with thee."  Surely we need not fear when we have the companionship of the God of the universe.

Then we need have no fear because He is our personal God.  "I am THY GOD."  The all-powerful God, the creator of heaven and earth, is interested in us and cares for us.  Not one detail in our lives is unimportant to Him.  He is saying, "Fear not; I am in control of your circumstances."

Paul reminds us of this same truth in 2 Corinthians 6:16.  HIS PRESENCE in us: God said, "I WILL DWELL IN THEM, and walk with them."  HIS PERSONAL INTEREST in us: "I will be THEIR GOD, and they shall be MY PEOPLE."


From A Prairie Devotional...

HOLD STILL AND LISTEN

"If you'd hold still for a minute, I'd tell you." - Laura Ingalls

Our lives and schedules are full.  We zip from one task to the next, hoping to accomplish everything on our to-do list while longing to discover purpose in it all.  I've found myself, when speeding around, asking God to reveal His will for my life.  Will God instruct us while we're multitasking?  Laura had an idea for how they could surprise Mary, but Albert wouldn't stop talking and cleaning the stalls to hear her out.  Laura encouraged Albert to hold still, in much the same way that God asks us to "be still, and know" (Psalm 46:10 KJV).

Sometimes life forces us to stop.  That happened to me when I was diagnosed with a brain tumor.  Immediately, every plan, every item on my to-do list that didn't have to do with healing was put on hold.  Suddenly I had time to think and pray.  It proved to be a season during which God whispered all kinds of promises to me through His Word and through His people.  But mostly, I heard Him in the stillness.

One of our greatest challenges when we're before the Lord is learning to be quiet - to stop talking.  Stop asking.  There are times when pouring out our hearts is necessary.  At other times, silence gives way to the simplest, most authentic connection.  We will never know what the Lord has to tell us if we don't cease our constant chatter.  How much direction might I have missed before my surgery experience because I didn't stop to listen?

Since recovering from my brain surgery, I'm in motion most of the time.  Now I'm constantly striving to find more quiet.  Our homes aren't always the best places for silence, especially if children are around.

When I need peace, I go to the beach.  There's something about taking in the beauty of creation that inspires stillness in me.  To sit and watch the waves, waiting for the colors to erupt as the sun dips down; for me it is the perfect place to listen.

It's not easy for us to put our agendas aside and be quiet.  It takes sacrifice and discipline on our part.  Yet God has so much to tell us in the silence.  Just as Laura said, hold still and let Him tell you.

The Lord God, the Holy One of Israel, has said, "In repentance and rest you will be saved, in quietness and trust is your strength." - Isaiah 30:15

grand daughter Hazel 'being still' and watching her butterfly

7 comments:

  1. Oh, look at Hazel! So cute, and such a pretty sky behind her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I wrote a comment on you Insta. Now I am here to follow you.
    https://kostbaar.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Aritha! Nice to see you here, and thank you for following. I hope you will be blessed when you visit my blog. I would follow yours, but it's not in English and unfortunately, English is all I know :(
      But we can be friends on Instagram! :)) xx

      Delete
    2. But I see I can translate your blog to English! Yay!! So I will be able to visit and read :) xx

      Delete
  3. Lovely photo of Hazel
    .. And truly uplifting thoughts and verses🙏🙏

    ReplyDelete