Friday, April 15, 2022

On the home front...

It's raining here today, so I'm taking a break from the garden work to get a post done.  It's supposed to stop this afternoon so hopefully I can go for my walk then.  There is still plenty to do in the garden.  Yesterday I cut back a BIG rosemary bush (the size of a small tree), plus cutting back the blackberry bushes as they finishing fruiting.  Still picking some blackberries every couple of days, but they have just about finished.  The tomatoes are going well.  I pick some every couple of days, and when I have a tray full, I chop and freeze...

So far I've frozen about 4 kilos, but there are plenty more coming on.  I just hope the frost doesn't beat them


I also freeze sandwich size zip lock bags of  various foods to have on hand for easy access when needed for recipes...
top l-r: cooked lentils and blackberries (9 kilos so far)
bottom l-r: cooked chickpeas and cooked black eyed beans


Cooking up more apples, but these are some Marnie and Denver brought me from a road side stand they passed...  
One can never have too many apples!!


And I recently made a curry and coconut milk chicken and veg stirfry...
with the mandatory cashews sprinkled on top :)


And fried rice...


I finished the scarf I was knitting and also two beanies.  They will go (via Knit4Charities) to Backpacks for Kids in Victoria....



Picked up this book from the library and am really enjoying it...
and started another beanie for the kids backpacks

Some photos from my recent river walks.  Not all taken on the same day...








At this time of year, I sometimes feel a bit like the Ingalls, as they prepare for winter...

"All through the pleasant fall weather Laura and Carrie were busy girls.  In the mornings they helped do the chores and get breakfast.  Then they filled their dinner pail, dressed for school, and hurried away on the mile walk to town.  After school they hurried home, for there was work to do until darkness came.  Saturday was a whole day of busy working...

Laura and Carrie picked up potatoes while Pa dug them.  They cut the tops from turnips and helped Pa pile them in the wagon.  They pulled and topped the carrots, too, and the beets and onions.  They gathered the tomatoes and the ground-cherries...

All day long while the girls were at school, Ma made preserves of the red tomatoes, and the purple husk tomatoes, and of the golden ground - cherries.  She made pickles of the green tomatoes that would not have time to ripen before it froze.  The house was full of the syrupy scent of preserves and the spicy odor of pickles." 

(from Little Town on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder)


And after all this garden talk/work, I think it's time for my coffee :)

And also time to re-visit The Little House books!  It's been two years since I've re-read them and they make such a nice winter read.

Do you have books you like to re-visit every couple of years?

xx

6 comments:

  1. I love the Brother Cadfael mysteries by Ellis Peters, and the Jane Austen mysteries by Stephanie Barron. I also re-read What is a Family? by Edith Schaeffer periodically and another one of her about housekeeping. Under the Tuscan Sun is something I read every few years. Different spiritual ones, too. Jane Austen's books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a Brother Cadfael book but couldn't get into it. Maybe I should try again. I have read and enjoyed Under the Tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany. I also enjoy re-visiting the Miss Read books. And Christian authors Corrie ten Boom, Elisabeth Elliot and Billy Graham come to mind.

      Delete
    2. How could I forget Elizabeth Goudge? I loved The Hiding Place! What a story! I want to get back to Miss Read and try the Fairacre books, since those seem to be preferred by her readers.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful lot of blackberries!!! Yes, I've also been busy "putting up for winter"lol .... I'm wondering also if you got the letter I posted a while back and hoping all is well, just busy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Need to go out and pick more blackberries and tomatoes, but its just started raining. My freezer is full, so I'll have to do something with some of the produce very soon.
      And yes... I did receive your letter, and I'm sorry to be so tardy in replying. but I hope to get to it soon.
      Just not enough hours in the day... :) xx

      Delete
  3. Hey LK. You have been busy for sure.. Well done with all your produce/cooking /freezing. God bless you 🙏

    ReplyDelete