Sunday, March 20, 2022

Weekend Words

From Beside the Still Waters...

How Is Your Walk With God - Read: Ephesians 5: 1-21

"I will walk before the Lord in the land of the living." - Psalm 116:9

To walk takes effort, especially as we get older.  Some years ago on our visits to India, we worked with a pastor who had contact with people across the mountains.  The only way to get there was by walking.  It took a lot of energy to walk up that high mountain and meet the souls on the other side and share the gospel message.  In our Christian life, it also takes much energy to walk with God.

The Bible has many verses about walking.  Ephesians 5:2 says, "Walk in love."  How is our relationship with our brethren and sisters?  Do our interactions please God?  Galatians 5:16 tells us, "Walk in the Spirit."  Do we allow that still small voice to guide us, or do we take our own way?  Ephesians 5:15 says, "See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise."  Circumspectly means 'carefully."  So are we walking in a careful or a thoughtless manner?

As God reveals new truth to us, we must be willing to walk in that light.  There are many people walking in darkness, not knowing where they are going.  We are walking either toward Heaven or toward the place prepared for the devil and his angels.  We have only one life to live, so let us purpose to walk hand in hand with our God.  He has promised to lead us step by step.  It will not always be easy - there are mountains to climb - but it will be worth all the effort.  "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 John 1:7).

Cleason Martin -Mine Centre, ON

"Furthermore then we beseech you ... as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more." - 1 Thessalonians 4:1

 From Behold the Lilies...

"The glory of the Lord shall endure for ever; the Lord shall rejoice in his works." - Psalm 104: 31

A wonderful way to begin a new day is to look around you and notice God's glory.  Fix your eyes on the lush, rustling leaves.  Tune your ears to hear the merry birds, the chirping frogs, or other little rejoicing creatures. Breathe deeply of the expansive atmosphere surrounding you.  Are not all of these something glorious from God?  Each new day that He gives you should be for serving and praising Him.  When we take our eyes off ourselves and focus on God, our spirits are lifted.  No matter how gloomy the day may seem, there is always some place where we can see God's glory shining through if we look for it.

Dusty, dingy windows do not let in as much light as sparkling, clean windows do.  The brightness of our day will depend on the way we look at our surroundings.  Are you looking for God's glory, or are you focusing on self?  The glory of God is all around you.  Take time to praise the Lord for the good things He gives to you.

I am so glad that our Father in heaven,  Tells of His love in the book he has given;

Wonderful things in the Bible I see;  This is the dearest, that Jesus loves me.


Though I forget Him and wander away,  Still He doth love me wherever I stray;

Back to His dear loving arms do I flee,  When I remember that Jesus loves me.


Oh, if there's only one song I can sing,  When in His beauty I see the great King,

This shall my song in eternity be,  "Oh, what a wonder that Jesus loves me!"


I am so glad that Jesus loves me, Jesus loves me, Jesus loves me,

I am so glad that Jesus loves me, Jesus loves even me.

4 comments:

  1. I almost laughed at the beginning of your post when you mention Beside the Still Waters - you often quote from it, but I had just looked at the "raging river" up above, and then saw the words Beside the Still Waters. There will no raging rivers in the New Jerusalem. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I have an old Ira D Sankey hymn book that has lots of really good older hymns in it. xx

      Delete