Sunday, March 13, 2022

Weekend Words

From Beside the Still Waters...



The Lord Is Our Keeper - Read Psalm 121, John 17:1-15

"The Lord is thy keeper; the Lord is thy shade upon thy right hand." - Psalm 121:5

In today's key verse, the word keeper is translated from a Hebrew word that means "to hedge about (as with thorns), i.e. guard; generally, to protect, attend to, etc." (Strong's).  As small children we feel secure within our parents' reach.  We considered ourselves especially safe when we were in their arms.  We were dear to them, and therefore protecting us was a high priority to them.

Now, as children of our heavenly Father, we can claim Him as our Keeper.  He has much greater power to protect us than our earthly parents had.  And He does so not only physically but also spiritually!

But then we might ask, Where was God's keeping power when Christ His Son was nailed to a cross to die?  And where was God's protection when Stephen and many others gave their lives for their faith in this keeping God?  Well, we are convinced that He could have kept them from dying as martyrs, just as He is able to keep us from accidents and death.  But often God's purposes are known only to Him.  In the past there were times when observers found salvation after they witnessed saints bravely facing torture and death.  The same happens today when Christians patiently endure tragedies.

God's spiritual keeping power was very much in place as Christians in the past prayed for their persecutors and then committed their spirits to God as life was fleeing!  Remember that the Scripture says, "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of his saints" (Psalm 116:15).  Satan does not care about his clients' welfare physically nor spiritually.  He is seeking their destruction to seal their fate.  Why would we not want to be God's child and have Him as our Keeper? 
Dennis Martin - Unionville, MO

"[Christians] are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation," - 1 Peter 1:3




"... knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world." - 1 Peter 5:9

Snow was falling from the sky and covering the ground with a beautiful blanket.  Many of the flakes did not fall directly to the ground but were driven to and fro and up and down before they finally reached their destination.  As I gazed over the landscape with its even cover of snow, I could have thought each flake had gracefully fallen from the sky and landed directly below its starting point.  But since I had watched the flakes coming down, I knew this was not the case.

On my way from earth to heaven, I experience trials that remind me of a snowflake's journey to earth.  Many times I am buffeted and tossed by the winds of adversity.  I am driven this way and that, and I almost despair.  But I take courage from seeing others persisting in their race as they encounter all kinds of pressures.  I also think of those in the past who persisted and reached their destination.  Remembering them also spurs me on in the course.  I may be blown hither and yon, but with perseverance I can inspire others along the way and arrive safely at my destination.


How sweet my Saviour, to repose  On Thy almighty power!
To feel Thy strength upholding me,  Through every trying hour!

It is thy will that I should cast  My every care on Thee;
To Thee refer each rising grief,  Each new perplexity;

That I should trust thy loving care,  And look to Thee alone,
To calm each troubled thought to rest,  In prayer before Thy throne.

"Casting all...your care upon Him...
For He careth, He careth for you."


We sang this song at church last Sunday and I found this version on YouTube.  The first couple of lines are a bit quiet, but it improves :)  
Feel free to sing along...
 


And if you have a few minutes, there is a very good discourse HERE, at the Bruderhof website on Peacemaking in Wartime: A Response to the War in Ukraine.


4 comments:

  1. All good reading and uplifting hymn also. Thank you 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a good article about the war. I got a subscription to Plough - I like it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a good publication. I use to subscribe to it. xx

      Delete