Tuesday, March 22, 2022

On the home front...

An enforced slow down last week due to a bad reaction to a pre procedure preparation I had to drink, has seen me convalescing the last few days.  Unfortunately, I got so sick from the pre diet/fasting, that I had to cancel the actual procedure!!

Just about back to speed today, but as it's raining, and I can't do much outside, I have the opportunity to get a home post on.

A few weeks ago, Marnie, Denver and I did a walk on part of the Redwater Creek Track.  We hope to get back to do the whole walk before winter sets in...


 








The garden continues to produce.  I picked the last of the apples this week.  Have frozen many containers of stewed apples, but kept some for eating.  The blackberries continue to produce for the freezer and jam making, and the tomatoes are ripening...

And digging potatoes as needed...



Still making my Irish soda bread...


But for this procedure I was to have, I had to be on a low fibre diet for the week before, so made the bread using a variety of flours, but omitting the seeds, etc.  Then for the three days before, I was to go on to white bread only (yuk!), so made the Soda bread recipe using only white flour.  It wasn't as bad as I'd thought it would be, but I'm definitely not a convert :) ...
white on left, low fibre on right, and jars of blackberry jam behind


Today I made Cornflake cookies.  Haven't made them for years, because I don't usually eat cornflakes, but they, or rice bubbles, where the only option for this diet...
one way to use up inedible cornflakes :))

Here's the recipe...
I only used 1/2 a cup of sugar, and a mix of sultanas and white choc chips


I've had a bit of crochet time while I recovered, and got a baby blanket for charity finished...
and I'm half way through this amazing book

Have started another baby blanket, this time in wool...
I usually like to add some cream or white when I make baby blankets, but I didn't have any, so...


This morning I picked up these two 'cakes' of Caron yarn (200gms in each) for $4 each at the op shop...
they will make some nice scarves for charity

"When we focus on people and life instead of material possessions and mere wants, there's not much room for emotional hand-wringing.  Instead, there's more space to weigh what we value in our lives and to acknowledge what really counts." 

- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Have a blessed week! 

xx



8 comments:

  1. I knew it! I knew you'd be doing something with your "free time". :) Glad you're better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! You know what they say about the devil and idle hands! Best not to give him an opportunity :)) xx

      Delete
  2. Hello dear Linda, I am so sorry to hear of your reaction and illness. No fun! Hope you're feeling much better now. You have such beautiful family and the walk/hike looks amazing! Our hiking trails here in Arizona are filled with rocks and a bit more difficult to maneuver, especially for us in the older set; ) but the beauty of the high desert is extraordinary. Much love and hugs to you and yours. Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...much better now, and thank you for your love and kind words. I'm more a trees and water person, but I'm sure the desert has it's beauty too. Hope you are able to get out and enjoy it! xx

      Delete
  3. Love your posts Lynda and the photos are also great 🙏👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynda, Lovely to drop by and see what you are up to - sorry to hear the pre stuff upset you so much. What a great crop of berries, apples and such good sized potatoes!! The walking track looks lovely as does the baby blankets. You are keeping busy xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharm!
      Yes...autumn is a busy time! I'm hoping for some down time over winter.
      And I see from visiting your blog, that you are not exactly sitting around twiddling your thumbs :))
      A letter to you is still on the list, but it might have to wait until winter... xx

      Delete