Sunday, June 16, 2019

Weekend Words

Home from church, drinking a cup of tea, and trying to decide what I can write for Weekend Words, and Anne Lamott came to mind.  Have you read any of her books?



I have pretty much all her non fiction books.  Couldn't quite get into her fiction though.  The first book I read (Travelling Mercies) was about 5 years ago, and I just kept reading...  She has "quotes" in her books.  Gotta love an author who uses quotes.  Such as...

"I don't know Who - or what - put the question, I don't know when it was put.  I don't even remember answering.  But at some point I did answer Yes to Someone - or something - and from that hour I was certain that existence is meaningful and that, therefore, my life, in self-surrender, had a goal."
 - Dag Hammarskjold

"I think I already understand about life: pretty good, some problems."
Sam Lamott (Anne's son) - at age 7

And these ones from Anne herself...

"I love ritual and repetition.  Without them, I would be a balloon with a slow leak."

"Thirty years ago my older brother, who was ten years old at the time, was trying to get a report on birds written that he'd had three months to write.  It was due the next day.  We were out at our family cabin in Bolinus, and he was at the kitchen table close to tears, surrounded by binder paper and pencils and unopened books on birds, immobilized by the hugeness of the task ahead.  Then my father sat down beside him, put his arm around my brother's shoulder, and said, 'Bird by bird, buddy.  Just take it bird by bird'"

"It's like the old riddle: What's the difference between you and God?  God never thinks He's you."

"Almost everything will work if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you."

If you haven't read any of her books...give them a try.  She's funny and wise. 

 A bit like me really :))

And now I'm off for an afternoon walk...to clear away the cobwebs. xx

2 comments:

  1. I did read one, not on your shelf. Without looking it up, let's see - It's called Help, Thanks, and something else. She reduces all our dealings with God to those three categories, which was pretty interesting. I did like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Help Thanks Wow. Yes...it's on my shelf, second from the right :) xx

    ReplyDelete