Sunday, January 22, 2017

Sunday Snippets



Eeny Meeny Miny...

I have never considered myself a particular denomination...but a christian!

I am  attending 3 different churches: Uniting; (Conservative) Mennonite; Seventh-day Adventist.

I love being with the Mennonites...their singing, preaching, friendship...

But I could never be a Mennonite.  I would love to be able to...but having not grown up in it, I feel stifled.  Not being able to think and question...and be myself.  But I will continue to meet with them on Sundays, even if I will always feel a bit of an outsider.  Not that they make me feel that way, it's just the nature of things...  And I have no problem with their theology, believing it to be completely Bible based.

And I've recently started attending the Seventh-day Adventist Church (although have had contact with them previously).  I do like their holistic approach to their faith - body, mind and spirit/soul.  They are very much into healthy lifestyle and eating.  They also dig deep and questioningly into the Bible, and seem to have more answers (and seek more) than other denominations.  I like to think, and am constantly asking questions, and seeking answers, about the Bible.  The only thing I am still a bit wary of is the emphasis they place on the teachings of Ellen White, but the more I look into it the more I see her works not so much as new revelations (as with the Mormons), but explanations and expansions on what the Bible says.

I still attend the Uniting Church when I am not with the Mennonites, and have made some lovely friends there, but I think the time is coming when I will need to make a decision re. my Sunday church of worship.

If I had to sum up my take on the Mennonite Church, it would be "come out from amongst them and be ye separate"...in that I feel them to be slightly isolating/ed.

And the Seventh-day Adventist Church would be "in the world, but not of the world"...mixing, but not conforming to.

I am only speaking of the Mennonite and Seventh-day Adventist churches here, that I have fellowshipped with.  I realise these churches in other areas may be slightly different.

Anyway...just some thought...

Happy to hear yours!!



Came across this poem in the latest edition of Keepers at Home (Mennonite publication):

Christian Friends
 
When our life is filled with trouble
And our joy has reached the end
Then our load again is lighter
When we share it with a friend.
 
Christian friends are priceless blessings
I am thankful for each one
May we overlook the failures
And in love continue on.
 
May our friendship as a flower
Bloom in beauty - fresh and fair
Bearing one another's burdens
And rememb'ring friends in prayer. (D.M.)
 
 
Blessings my friends!!
 
xx 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment