Friday, January 13, 2017

Dreaming of a place far away...

Great Yarn Along weather today!  Rain...rain and more rain!  Sorely needed, and enabling me to stay inside and not feel guilty about the jungle that is my garden.

So I am enjoying some reading, knitting and cooking...

Reading

Picked up The Sunlit Night this morning from the library and have had my nose in it since.  Think I'm going to like it...

Particulary liked this...  "What does it matter if you do what you love, if what you love doesn't matter?" (p12)

And this (regarding Norway, where she was headed)...  "It promised to be solitary and terribly far away.  ...an eighteen-hour train ride that started in Oslo and connected to a four hour ferry trip across a major fjord.  .... Leaving the colony was possible only when the fjord proved crossable, on select and unforeseeable days." (p22)

Now that is my idea of a great place to live :))

Knitting   Still working on my classic jumper in my Willabaa wool yarn...so nice to knit with!

Picked up The Seal Wife and A Song for Summer for 50 cents each at the op shop. My (part-time) Paris Life is a new one from Book Depository...
 next in line on my 'to read' list
 
What draws you to a book?  For me it is mostly the setting. The above mentioned books are set in Norway, Alaska, Austria and Paris.  If I can't go there (yet) I can at least read about it!
 
I love books about cool climate, sparsely populated places.  I think that is partly why I read Scandi crime books, not because I like crime books...but because I like the settings.  And it seems to be that most of the settings I like are in crime fiction!! 


Cooking    Cottage Cheese Rolls...

Here's the recipe:

3 beaten eggs
1/2 cup walnut pieces
1 small chopped onion
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs
1 cup quick cooking oats
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Combine all together.  Place on puff pastry sheets ( I cut the sheets in half then place mixture on sheets and roll up, then cut each roll into 4 or 5 pieces), brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Prick tops with a fork (to allow steam to escape) and bake on trays in 200'C oven for 20 minutes or until pastry is cooked and slightly browned. 
Notes:  I also add some tomato relish and fresh herbs (parsley, coriander, thyme, rosemary, mint) to the mix, and I used normal rolled oats as I didn't have any of the quick cooking variety.

these are some I made last week


And here's the wet garden as I wait for it to stop raining so I can gather some fresh herbs...

And last night's full moon...



Rain has stopped...making a dash outside to pick my herbs for the cottage cheese rolls, and some beans and silverbeet for tea tonight...
can't get much fresher than that


Rain is starting again.  Time for a cup of tea and my nose in the book...oh...and maybe a piece of the banana, date and walnut cake I made yesterday...

Bon appetit!
 
xx

2 comments:

  1. For a (brief, I think) moment I thought you were going to make tea from beets! Then I realized "tea" meant a meal. 8-o

    Would you really like to live so far out??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...a meal/dinner. Sometimes I forget about the language barrier :))

      That far out? Probably not...in reality, but in my dreams...yes!! xx

      Delete