Thursday, December 16, 2010

Sprouting Seeds

the smaller seeds on the left are alfalfa and the larger ones on the right are fenugreek
I sprout them in my Biosnacky jar that Jefferson gave me. Soak about 1 1/2 tablespoons of seeds (I'm doing fenugreek this time) in water in the jar overnight or for about 8 hours
then drain them through the special sieve lid and leave to stand on the sink giving them 2 rinses (run the water in through the holes in the lid) morning and night and leaving to drain in between rinses.

this is day one:
this is day 3:
and this is day 4...and they are ready. Put in a covered container and store in fridge. I find they keep for at least a week
They are good on sandwiches, in salads, with scrambled eggs...I tend to put a handful on most things I eat...they are really good for you and the fenugreek have a sort of curry flavour. I'm going to do some alfalfa seeds next.
If you don't have a special sprouting jar, you can use a large, wide mouth jar and cover it with a piece of stocking/pantyhose secured with an elastic band. That is how I use to do it, but you have to leave it upturned to drain...that is why I like my BioSnacky, because I don't have to try and balance it on something to drain...it has it's own little stand :o)
It is really only big enough for one, so if you have a family you would probably need a bigger jar.

Happy sprouting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment