Saturday, December 30, 2023

Weekend Words

 From Beside the Still Waters...

End-of-Year Reflections: Read 2 Samuel 22:1-30

"Lord, thou hast been our dwelling place in all generations." - Psalm 90:1

We have once again come to the close of a year and are about to cross the threshold into another.  It is a good time to reflect upon God's goodness and lovingkindness to us.  Certainly His mercies are "new every morning" (Lamentations 3:23).  How great is his faithfulness!  But how is it with us?  We know that our days are numbered, and soon we will take the last step of our earthly journey.  The passing of another year should cause us to stop and take inventory of our life.

Do our goals, decisions, and actions give evidence of a sincere desire to serve and glorify God?  Is the Lord Jesus first in our lives, and are we laying up treasures in Heaven?  Or has our vision become shortsighted, with our primary focus on the temporal, perishing things of earth?  We may look back with regret on our blunders and sins.  But when we repent of past failures, we can be assured of God's cleansing and forgiveness and we can go on with a clean slate, looking unto Jesus and living in victory.  We may also look back on our achievements or successes.  But instead of being proud and boastful, let us humbly acknowledge God as the One who gives us the strength and ability to accomplish our goals.

We do not need to be gripped with worry or fear as we face the uncertainties in the year ahead.  Though we live in troublesome times of turmoil and upheaval, or we may face daunting personal challenges, we can firmly put our trust in our unchanging God who has all things in His control.  His grace has been sufficient in the past, and it will continue to be sufficient for whatever lies ahead.

Mark Kropf - Cataldo, ID

"For this God is our God for ever and ever;

he will be our guide even unto death."

- Psalm 48:14

And for my final Weekend Words for the year, I want to share again some more lovely words from Teatime Discipleship...

"For as long as I could remember, in the dim, early morning light, I had prepared for the external pressures of the day and entered into a time just for me.  In this place, I had poured out lament to God, sought refuge from the storms of life, and found wisdom for my days.  I refueled my mind and heart, preparing myself to go back into the battle of life restored, better able to face the demands of my day.  Not a luxury, but a necessity for the many demands of my life through seasons...

Sitting down with a cup of tea, meeting God in my armchair, I am open to His leading...

The outer trappings of my teatime ritual - my teapot, candles, and soft music - showed that the sacred meeting place was still waiting for me, welcoming me into the rest and peace and deep joy I had experienced so many times before.

Once the stage is set, I'm ready for time with the Lord.  At first, sometimes I just sit and stare into the world around me, centering myself.  For me, my quiet time begins with my Bible.  Often I read a short devotional.  Sometimes, heartfelt prayers pour out; other times, gratitude abounds.  Often, I am distracted - but thousands of days spent meeting with Him, pondering His words, and pouring out my heart have built a haven of closeness and intimacy with Christ, my constant companion.  Journaling thoughts and prayers has given me a pathway into His presence.  This life-giving personal time prepares me for all that my day will hold..."

(Rhythms of Peace - Sally Clarkson)

5 comments:

  1. I like Sally Clarkson's podcast, but it being twice a week, I don't always listen. Today, however, I did, and what an episode. She read from a letter written by daughter Sarah, and it was terrific. She is such an encouraging person and an upbeat personality. God bless her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only recently 'discovered' her. I had heard of her but not read/listened to anything by her.
      I've also ordered online, her daughter, Sarah's, book (This Beautiful Truth), which deals, in part, about her previous struggles with mental health issues and depression. It should arrive this week. Looking forward to reading it...

      Delete
    2. It's an excellent book! I love Sarah.

      Delete

  2. May God bless and keep us,make His face to shine upon us,and give us His peace 🙏

    ReplyDelete