Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Weekend Words

Sorry this is late, but my internet is down and may be for a couple of weeks while they rectify the problem in the area. I’m posting this from my phone, which is rather difficult. Thankfully I had it typed up last week, but have just added the photos now. I’ll be back as soon as I can, but in the meantime there are plenty of back posts you can read through :)
Have a blessed week!

From Be Still and Know...

One thing have I desired of the Lord, that will I seek after, that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in his temple. - Psalm 27:4

Late for an appointment, a man hurried out and hailed a cab.  Jumping in, he said to the driver, "get going and drive as quickly as you can."  After a few blocks, he impatiently asked, "Are we almost there?"  "Almost where?" replied the driver.  In his hurry the passenger had failed to give the driver the address of his destination.

That may seem an unlikely story, yet today many people are so busy trying to keep up with the rapid pace of living, they haven't stopped to consider what their goal in life is.

David had a goal in his life, a goal that his heart was set on achieving.  He said, "ONE THING have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after" (Psalm 27:4, Amplified).

Since David was in danger, helpless, and friendless, he might have prayed for his safety, but that was not the primary desire of his heart.

First, his heart's desire was "that I may dwell in the house of the Lord - in His Presence - all the days of my life."  He wanted to live in the presence of the Lord all the days of his life.  He longed for the constant companionship of God.

Next, his desire was "to behold the beauty of the Lord."  He wanted his vision filled with the Lord.

Then he wanted to "inquire in His temple."  He wanted God's answers to his problems, to know God's will, to become better acquainted with God.

He had his priorities right.  He longed for companionship with the Lord - to be occupied with God's person; He wanted to seek His will - to be occupied with God's guidance.

Jesus Christ came that through Him we might have the constant companionship of God, see Him with our eyes of faith, and walk in obedience to His will.

How sweet the name of Jesus sounds  In a believer's ear;

It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,  And drives away his fear.

It makes the wounded spirit whole,   And calms the troubled breast;

'Tis manna to the hungry soul,  And to the weary rest.


From Beside the Still Waters...

Left Behind - Read: Matthew 24:36-25:13

"Then shalt two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left." - Matthew 24:40

My sister and I were sitting in Chicago's Union Station.  I was reading and also listening for the announcement telling us it was time to board our train.  I checked my watch repeatedly as the time drew nearer, and finally I put my book away and just waited.  Surely any minute we would be called.

Five minutes before departure time, I could stand it no longer.  "Come," I told my sister.  "We need to walk down to the gate and make sure they're not boarding without us."  But I had waited too long, we arrived breathless at the gate only to see an attendant closing it.  "Sorry," he said.  "You've missed the train."

I stood there shocked and frustrated, refusing to believe this was actually happening.  Surely it was just a bad dream, and I would wake up to find myself safely on the train.  Dimly I thought, "Is this what it would feel like to be left behind when Jesus returns?"

I will never know whether the attendant failed to announce our train, or whether I was so absorbed in my book that I failed to hear the call.  It really didn't matter; we had missed our train, and there was nothing left to do but take another train.  Hopefully I've learned my lesson: I am personally responsible to ensure that I make it on the train.

If we are left behind when Jesus returns, the reason won't be important either.  Whether because of carelessness, unbelief, or false confidence, the result will be the same.  We are personally responsible for our own standing with God, and we can blame no one else.  Furthermore, if we miss the "train" to Heaven, there will be no other options.  We have only one chance.  Let's make certain we are ready.

Jeremiah Stoll - Ethel, MO

"Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your lord doth come." - Matthew 24:42

No comments:

Post a Comment