Sunday, August 7, 2022

Weekend Words

 From More Letters from Ruth's Attic...

Pure Refreshment

"Lead me in Your truth and teach me, for You are the God of my salvation; on You I wait all the day." - Psalm 25:5

It could be merely a piece of plywood stretched across two saw horses, but you should have a special place for Bible study - a place that doesn't have to be shared with sewing, letter-writing or bill-paying.  For years, mine was just an old wooden table between an upright chest of drawers and a taller desk.

On my desk I have collected a number of good translations of the Bible for reference, a Bible dictionary, a concordance and several devotional books.  I also keep a notebook, a mug full of pens and a special pen that writes on the pages of my Bible without smearing or bleeding through.

When we were in school, we also kept a notebook handy to take notes on the professor's lecture.  How much more important is it to take notes when God is teaching us!

If we have to clear off a spot for Bible study during a crowded day, we are likely to put it off.  But if we have a place where our Bible is always open and handy, whenever there is a lull in the storm, we can grab a cup of coffee and sit down for a few minutes or more of pure refreshment and companionship.

Prayer for the Day: In the midst of each day, Father, may I pause and allow Your Word to refresh and strengthen me.  Let the Scriptures speak to me in a new and deeper way as I study and seek to understand what You are teaching me.

From Amish Peace...

Finding Rest

Jesus said, "Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest." - Matthew 11:28

Do you find yourself ready to get off of your feet at the end of the day?  According to the New York Times, the average American takes 5,117 steps a day; the average Amish man takes 18,000 steps a day, and the average Amish women takes 14,000 steps!  If anyone needs rest it's the Amish...and they take it.  The Amish community considers Sunday a day of rest.  They eat simple meals, prepared the day before, and give their bodies time to rejuvenate.  They may read, sit and visit with family, or write letters.  Their feet do not have to worry about all those steps!

For many people Sunday isn't so different from any other day.  They shop, they cook, and they even squeeze in work.  I can't tell you how many times I've told myself, Answering a few emails won't hurt.  But it does.

In Matthew 11:28, above, God tells us He will give us rest.  The question is, do we take it?  Do we rest on the Sabbath?  More than that, do we go to God - every day of the week - and ask Him to lift our burdens?  Isaiah 28:12 adds, "God has told his people, 'Here is a place of rest; let the weary rest here.  This is a place of quiet rest.'  But they would not listen."

I don't know about you, but sometimes I find it easier to complain about my burdens than to take them to the Lord.  Sometimes it's easier to feel overwhelmed with my work than it is to push it all to the side for an hour and just relax with my family or a friend.

The question is not whether we have burdens and weariness.  The question is, will we take them to God and still our minds and our hands for Him to do His refreshing work?

1 comment: