Tuesday, August 2, 2022

On the home front...

Slowly getting back into 'normal' mode after the family visit.  It's still very cold here, especially nights and early mornings, but some of the days have been warming up a bit and hopefully Spring is not far away.  The grass seems to think so, as it has started growing, so after not having to mow for the last couple of months, it will be time to get the mower out again soon.

I've finally finished the sweater I was knitting for Hazel and will get it in the mail to her tomorrow...

she has now requested a yellow cardigan :)

Meanwhile, I am going on with the knitted squares for the Wrap with Love blanket...


And if I get sick of knitting, I can work on my crocheted blanket...

I need to get my supply of blankets back up, as Natasha took 3 of them home with her when she was here recently.  I forgot to take a photo of them, so will get her to send me one (for next post).


Vicki asked me for the recipe for the bread and butter pudding I mentioned making in my last home post.  This is the original recipe...

But I didn't add the honey, apple or banana.  I've made it a few times since then, simplifying each time, and the last one I made I used some of my fruit cake that I had in the freezer (instead of bread) and just added milk, eggs and vanilla.  The cake had fruit and sugar in it so I didn't need to add any more.  I did sprinkle some nutmeg on top before cooking...

so simple!

and so good!!

Here's another recipe I've made a couple of times recently.  Vanilla slice...

Put a layer of Sao biscuits in a dish/cake tin...


Make up a VERY thick custard (custard powder/milk/vanilla), allow to cool slightly, then pour over the Sao biscuits...
place another layer of Sao biscuits on top


When completely cold, ice with passionfruit icing...
and then try not to eat too much :)


From my walk this morning...

And remember...

"Almost everything will work again if you unplug it a few minutes, including you." - Anne Lamott

xx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lynda I love the Ann Lamott quote!! Your finished makes and works in progress are just beautiful ❤️ We are meant to be having summer here but today definitely has a autumn feel to it. The bread and butter pudding looks yummy and what an ingenious idea to use fruit cake instead of a fruit loaf. Your biscuits remind me of 'vanilla slices' that are sold here in the UK, they are utterly moreish 😂.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandra Ann! We are back to winter here today... strong winds and heavy rain, so I won't be venturing far... xx

      Delete
  2. Hazel will lover her sweater, it is so lovely when a grandchild specifically requests a specific item to be knitted. I am knitting squares to make a blanket for grandchild #11 due at the end of the year, and like you, if I tire of knitting I can move onto the crochet blanket I am making for the same baby. My grandmother made the best bread pudding, it was delicious served warm from the over with some cream poured over the top, and just as delicious the eaten cold the next day. Oftentimes she would make it if she stayed with us over the weekend, I loved taking it in my packed lunch to school on Monday following her visit. We make banana pudding, it is instant vanilla pudding layered with vanilla wafers and sliced banana and topped with kool whip, it is a family favorite of young and old alike.

    Keep knitting/crocheting and inspiring us all,
    Bean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bean!
      I managed to get the wool I wanted for the yellow Hazel cardigan at a shop in Latrobe, and as Marnie is coming to stay this weekend, she can pick it up and bring it with her so I can get started. While I still have the momentum :)

      I'm going to make another 'bread and butter' pudding this afternoon for us to eat over the weekend. I have some leftover carrot and oat muffins so am going to try using them instead of the fruit cake. We'll see how it goes :)
      Your banana pudding sounds good too!

      Enjoy your crafting and cooking... xx

      Delete
  3. Hallo Lynda,

    I love the sweater and the yellow bear. O and your postcard is on the way now.
    The last photo is so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aritha! Will look forward to the post card. Yours will be in the mail this week :) xx

      Delete