Sunday, April 16, 2023

Weekend Words



Songs in the Night

"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy.  Spread your protection over them that those who love your name may rejoice in you." - Psalm 5:11

I woke this morning groaning, as I thought of the busy day ahead.  As I opened my curtains I noticed a thrush on a branch near my window.  His beak was wide open, breast puffed out, and music was just pouring from his entire being.

The Bible talks a lot about singing, not only songs of praise and triumph when everything is going wonderfully, but also 'songs in the night' like the ones Paul and Silas sang in a Roman prison after being flogged.  The power of their singing freed them dramatically (Acts 16:25-25).  One Old Testament king sent a choir ahead of his army 'singing to the Lord and praising him for his holy splendour'.  As they sang, the Lord caused the invading armies to start killing each other (2 Chronicles 20:21-23).

In their little book God Calling (published by Arthur James LTD in 1953), the Two Listeners recorded beautiful things they heard God say.  Here is one I've tried to remember today as I rush through my job list: 'Sing unto the Lord ... Go on until you can take the most crowded day with a song.  Sing unto the Lord.  The finest accompaniment to a song of praise is a very crowded day.'

The Psalms are full of 'I wills': I will praise... I will be glad... I will trust... I will sing...  They usually come just after the psalmist has poured out all his woes to God, but then chooses instead to start singing by willpower rather than inclination.  Perhaps our singing has to be an 'I WILL' sometimes?

Because you are my help, I will sing in the shadow of your wings. - Psalm 63:7


From Beside the Still Waters...

Rejoicing in Adversity - Read 2 Corinthians 1

Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice. - Philippians 4:4

God sometimes uses adversities to teach us lessons in life, and often we can look back and see them as stepping stones to Christian maturity.  Many of what we might consider difficulties turn out to be blessings.  "My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience" (James 1:2-3).

Can I do that?  Can I be joyful in difficult circumstances?  Today's key verse tells us to rejoice at all times.  We need His help and the prayers of other believers, because we naturally become impatient when things don't go as we plan.  We have assurance from God that trials bring patience.  But why do we have so many trials, and sometimes one on top of another as Paul wrote in today's reading?  I have thought of it this way: Maybe I have numerous trials because I don't learn what God is trying to teach me.  He has to keep working time after time before I give up my stubborn will.

The psalmist wrote, "I will be glad and rejoice in thy mercy: for thou hast considered my trouble; thou hast known my soul in adversity" (Psalm 31:7).  I marvel at the close tie between thankfulness and rejoicing.  We cannot rejoice without thanksgiving in our hearts.  Rejoicing and thankfulness in turn bring peace.  "And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus" (Philippians 4:7).

Sometimes adversities come as chastening, but even they give us reason to rejoice.  "Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby" (Hebrews 12:11).

Fred Beachy - Crofton, KY

Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory. - 1 Peter 1:8


1 comment: