Tuesday, December 27, 2022

On the home front...

I hope you all had a nice Christmas!  I know some areas of the US and Canada are experiencing a severe cold snap at the moment (while we swelter in the heat), so stay safe and warm.

My 'plan' was to go to Marnie and Denver for Christmas lunch, but that abruptly changed when Marnie tested positive for Covid on Christmas Eve!  And since then, Denver and Sophie have also come down with it.  Thankfully they all seem to be improving now.

So Freya and I enjoyed our Christmas at home. I had a headache anyway (due to the hot weather), so wasn't even sure if I would have made it to them.  Thankfully the headache cleared around midday and as I had already cooked the turkey roast (and made the cheesecake), I added some roast vegies and greens and enjoyed Christmas lunch for one...

Marnie had the ham and pavlova, so they didn't go hungry either.  We'll catch up when they are better.

Consequently, no Christmas day photos!  I'm still waiting for the rest of the family to send me some, so hopefully by next post.  Marnie and I did take her neighbor out for lunch a couple of weeks ago, so this will have to suffice for now...

Jill, me, and Marnie

Have been doing some charity knitting over the last couple of months and have a scarf and 5 beanies to send off to Knit4Charities ...


Knitting a new blanket for Freya's bed now.  

And while we're on the 'Freya' subject...

She loves to be out and about during the day, and here she is in her bird hide...

waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting bird (or lizard)

On the odd occasion she is inside during the day (for her 'cat nap') she also likes to sleep in this random box (as cats do), that I had left on the spare bed, and (even more randomly) rip little pieces of cardboard off the edges... 


Also, finally sewing these 28 blanket squares together...

for Wrap with Love charity

A couple of weeks before Christmas I harvested my excess rhubarb...



And my excess of lemons...

and took them to the food bank at our local Neighborhood House

My reading has been a bit hit and miss.  Started quite a few books but was not inclined to finish them.  But I am reading these at the moment...


This year I've read quite a few of the Miss Read books, but thought for 2023 I would work my way through the Minack Chronicle books I have...
some bought new and some picked up at op shops over the years 
 
They are a lovely series.  Have you read any of them?

I'm going to start with A Gull on the Roof, because it is the first

I started my summer walk routine a couple of weeks ago.  Walking early, before breakfast, and before it gets too hot.  Here are a couple of early morning photos...


Well, that was a bit of a marathon post!  One of my new year resolutions is to try and get a home post up once a week. Then it won't take you three days to read it :)

Will leave you with this thought...


But I've generally found that if you plant kindness, that is what you reap.

So, get planting!!

xx

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Lynda!! I'm sorry you had a headache that day, but your meal looks nice and healthy and sometimes eating the right thing helps with my headaches. Although you did say it was gone by that time. Too bad Marnie and her family have COVID - it's making the rounds. Fish oil helped me A LOT when I had it.
    Freya looks so much like Sweetie - she looks devilish in the box photo! She's enjoying life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you had a nice Christmas, Lisa!
      I'll pass on about the fish oil. They are all pretty much over it now, but this is the third time they've had it, so there still may be need to try the fish oil at some stage.
      And Freya is sleeping in her box here with me as I type :) xx

      Delete
  2. Late response.. I know LK. Just got to checking my phone now!! Sorry 🙏 about your Xmas but hopefully all good again now?
    Loved your photos too.. Esp Freya in box!! 😁

    ReplyDelete