Friday, October 21, 2022

On the home front (after the floods)...

 We had floods here last week, as did a few other areas of the state.  I was fine where I am (up on a hill), but many homes and businesses were inundated.  The river is back to its usual level now, but two of the walk bridges over the river that I use on my daily walks are still closed, I'm assuming until they are checked for structural damage and deemed safe.  So, I still go for my walk each day, but my route has had to be changed, which is a bit disconcerting as now I have to actually 'think' about where I am going rather than being on 'auto pilot' :))

Here are some photos when the river was at its height...  (Maybe you shouldn't look at these Lisa!)

this is normally dry ground

I usually walk here

this is the road, rail crossing, and caravan park buildings under water



the swimming pool enclosure, and ramp to the walk track (where the trees are) under water

the walk track on either side of the river was also under

the rail bridge just managed to stay above water

as did the road bridge, but I usually walk this path under the road bridge to the other side

even the pigeons that nest under the road bridge had to evacuate


Within a few days it had gone down...

the water was rushing over this bridge at its height, and unfortunately, as it seems to have sustained some buckling, I cannot walk over it to do my usual walk loop



Since then, we've had some lovely sunny days which my garden enjoyed...
my apple tree is covered in blossoms, the 'pigface' is flowering (with my honeysuckle climber in the background)

More rain is forecast over the next few days.  Nothing like what we had last week, but I have stocked up on plenty of reading and watching material...



And I'm back working on Hazel's cardigan...

And here are some photos of Freya practicing her circus act this morning...



the 'wild child' :))

But she was wild; so wild in fact that when the vet came to inspect her, she behaved in such a savage fashion that he told Derek and Jeannie she would never stay with them.  Other people who saw her said the same thing.  "Once a wild cat, always a wild cat..." - (from Lama by Derek Tangye)


4 comments:

  1. Wow Lynda the water WAS high! Ps loved the Freya shots! Glad you never got wet!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More rain this weekend, and the water is on the rise again, but not to the level it was in the 'big flood'. xx

      Delete
  2. Oh, brother, that river again!! Did you have some sort of cyclone, or just too much rain? I was reading along and when you mentioned the flooding, I thought Oh, That River, and then I saw my name. :D Rivers are beautiful, as long as they know their place.
    Freya is such an acrobat! I'm amazed. And you caught her for posterity. She is having lots of fun - just tell her to stay away from the river! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cyclone, just a LOT of rain.
      Freya is a little terror. She stayed out till 1.30am last night! That's teenagers for you :)) xx

      Delete