Sunday, January 17, 2021

Weekend Words

 From The One Year Book of Amish Peace - Tricia Goyer


Just Enough

First, help me never to tell a lie.  Second, give me neither poverty nor riches!  Give me just enough to satisfy my needs.  For if I grow rich, I may deny you and say, "Who is the Lord?"  And if I am too poor, I may steal and thus insult God's holy name. - Proverbs 30:8-9

My eighty-three-year-old grandmother lives with us, and she likes to live simply.  She'd rather use the stove top than the microwave.  She has no interest in learning how to use a computer or in having an email account.  She has cable television in her room, but she flips between just two channels - religious programming and the old movie channel.  She's happy and content no matter who tells her she's missing out.  She doesn't have too much or too little.  She is satisfied, and there's something to be said for that!

In 1955, Jay Lehman was concerned that some day the Amish would not be able to maintain their simple ways because their non-electric products would no longer be available.  He founded a store in Kidron, Ohio; today, that store is the world's largest provider of historical technology.  His goal was, and still is, to provide authentic, historical products to those seeking a simpler life: Homesteaders, environmentalists, missionaries, doctors in developing nations, and others living in areas where there is no power or unreliable power rely on Lehman's.  Hollywood set designers too.  Lehman has supplied historically accurate pieces for many movies.

Where do you find satisfaction?  Are you always looking for the newest and greatest thing?  Do you try to keep up with others, or are you content with what you have?  

First Timothy 6:8 says, "If we have enough food and clothing, let us be content."  Contentment is a matter of the heart; it's not a consequence of the accumulation of goods.

Consider praying Proverbs 30:8-9 today.  Ask God to give you enough to satisfy your needs.  You might begin to look at all you have differently when you do.


Dear heavenly Father, too often I get my needs and my wants mixed up.  Help me to pray for the former and to release the desire for the latter into Your hands.  Amen.

  

2 comments:

  1. Wants and needs - yes. It's not easy sometimes. :) Lynda, can you show your cameo sometime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got my cameo out to measure it (3/4 inch x 1 inch). Will show in my next post :) xx

      Delete