Thursday, March 9, 2017

Out and about

In the garden...


The tomatoes are finally starting to ripen...
 
My solitary Lord Lambourne apple...
 It was just a bare rooted stick when I bought it in winter

And over the back fence...
the back fence boys

For Yarn Along

The cowl is finished...
 and browsing some old issues of An Encouraging Word
(I don't think it's published anymore)


Have started another baby blanket...in pretty pastels this time (as opposed to my previous 3 in baby brights!)
 

Continuing to read through 40 Days in the Wilderness (a chapter a day) and really enjoying it...

It was so nice and cool and fresh on my morning (7am) river walk.  I managed to get the lawns mowed and some weeding done when I got back.  Then the sun came out...and it's too hot again, so I'm inside.  But at least I feel like I accomplished something...
 
Hope you are all keeping busy...and happy :))
 
xx

6 comments:

  1. Your garden has really come on nicely and I love the boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A handsome pair aren't they!!

      And I'm only showing you the under control parts of the garden...the rest of it is a jungle :))xx

      Delete
  2. That's an apple I've never heard of; and there seem to be quite a few in Britain also, that I don't think we have here. I don't know why that seems strange to me. Is it an old variety?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...an old British variety. Here's what I found on the net:

      Lord Lambourne

      The fruit is medium-sized and with a bright orange/red flush. It is cross between the James Grieve and Worcester Pearmain and was named after the then RHS president. The flesh is white, crisp, sweet and juicy with plenty of the Scottish James Grieve acidity. It was raised by the Laxton Brothers at Bedford, England in 1907 and introduced commercially in 1921. It is considered to be ‘a dessert apple of the highest quality’.

      My solitary apple should be ready this month (according to the experts), so I shall savour it...unless the birds get it first! xx

      Delete