Thursday, November 10, 2016

More on the Mennonites

I'm publishing a comment here that I received about THIS post, because perhaps not all of you read the comments and I thought these thoughts were interesting:

Hi there Lynda,
I wouldn't lay a foot next to their church or fellowship. They look good on the outside but nasty on the inside, many people have been hurt by the Mennonite because they are closed in group and because they make themselves look good on the outside. You said something about intimidation, my thats terrible if you felt that at first.
We are not all perfect but I would use wisdom going and fellow shipping with people like these. I attend a Baptist Church and the Baptist have many errors but I prefer to attend a Baptist then Mennonite and some way the Baptist seem different and I think Baptist are more spiritually right. I am not arguing here but I feel you need to know about this group.
Many blessings!


And here is my reply:

Hi Anonymous - I have to disagree with you. I have known these people for 4 years now and have found no 'nastiness' in them. And the intimidation did not come from them...it was all self imposed.
I have also studied them (and other Anabaptist groups) for about 10 years, so have a good grasp of their beliefs.

I'm sure there are good and bad Mennonite fellowships as there are Baptist fellowships...after all the churches are made up of fallible humans.

I am aware of their beliefs, and they do follow the Bible quite literally, which I know can cause problems for some people, but I guess it is up to us to search our hearts (and the Bible) and with the help of the Holy Spirit discern what God's will is for our own lives. I know the Mennonite church would not suit everyone, but the choice is ours.

I do not think their beliefs are unbiblical, although some of their individual church rules can be a bit of a stumbling block for some, especially those of us who did not grow up Mennonite. The church here is quite conservative compared to some other Mennonite fellowships.

There are 'degrees' of conservativism (is that a word?) in all denominations, I guess we need to find one that suits us.

As I said...I do not find their beliefs unbiblical, difficult yes...but then no-one ever said being a Christian was easy (least of all me!)

I appreciate your comments.

Blessings to you!



Feel free to add your thoughts!
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Good post and I agree with what you said. There is nastiness in all groups of people and no one group is immune.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle - yes...we all need to search our own hearts first...

      Blessings to you! xx

      Delete
  2. How long would it take for you to become a member if you were to decide to join?
    How long would you have had to be attending for? Are there any Australians that have joined church?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi 'Unknown'

      I don't know the answers to your first 2 questions. I imagine it would be a personal thing and different for each individual.

      Oh course you can just attend church with them and not officially join (which is what I do). There is no pressure to join and everyone is welcome.

      As to your third question... from my visit with them a few weeks ago, I think there are 2 or 3 Australian families who have joined. I'm not sure if they are 'official' members, but I can find out for you, as my plan is to fellowship with them next Sunday, so I will ask :) xx

      Delete